Pitted Stainless Fittings

kleclerc77

Our equipment supplier just sent us a number of barbed hose fittings, a number of which (but not all) are rough/pitted on the inside. I've never seen anything like this and am concerned that they are not food grade/they won't be able to be properly cleaned and sanitized. Some of the fittings are clearly used, and I'm not sure if the pitting is from use or if they were manufactured that way. Has anyone run into this issue before?

20190312_094239.jpg

20190308_090928.jpg

That's weird.  Are you sure that they are pitted and don't have something on them.  What are you using them for?  The first thing that you should do is contact the supplier.  It may be that the employee that shipped them did not notice and the company owner has no idea that they are like that.  If they are a good supplier they will replace them immediately at no charge.  I know that I would.

• Thumbs up 1

17 hours ago, Southernhighlander said:

Are you sure that they are pitted and don't have something on them.  What are you using them for?  .

I thought it may be some residue at first, but they are definitely all pitted. They're for hoses that will be transferring grain in mash, and it seemed wrong to me that these pieces weren't machined to be food grade. Not to mention there is residue, cuts, and dents taken out of a number of them from previous use. I'm a little dumbfounded here, and will be requesting new pieces from our supplier.