Density Meter Advice Please

WaywardB

Hi All-

Exploring TTB certified density meters from Anton Paar, Rudolph Research and Mettler Toledo.  Looking for some feedback on ease of use, reliability, customer service from training and setup to answering questions months later...and whatever else you may feel is valuable for decision making.  And, if you have a DM what was your swing vote for purchase?

3 hours ago, WaywardB said:

Hi All-

Exploring TTB certified density meters from Anton Paar, Rudolph Research and Mettler Toledo.  Looking for some feedback on ease of use, reliability, customer service from training and setup to answering questions months later...and whatever else you may feel is valuable for decision making.  And, if you have a DM what was your swing vote for purchase?

I swear by the Anton Paar range.  Simple, reliable and mostly idiot proof.  But it always comes down to cost, available support in your region.

Thank you Oz.  What Anton Paars are you referring to / which do you use?  What is your experience with Rudolph Research or Mettler?  I have heard Metter is kind of challenging and Rudolph and Aton are quite user friendly.  Any first-hand experience?  I am in the U.S. so would love to hear from distillers beholden to the TTB as well.

I think any of them should work fine. As a company, Mettler Toledo is a little less friendly, its business model is oriented toward corporate pharma. But that being said, they will support products that have not been aged out. We bought a used Mettler that works well, and is still supported. We have not used desktop Anton Paar, but had good support and ease of purchase of the handhelds. The Rudolph looks like a good value, and I have had good experience with them for other equipment, but have not done so for their densitometer/alcoholometer.

4 hours ago, WaywardB said:

What were some of your key decision points when you selected Rudolph?  

The biggest thing is when they where coming by trying to sell me on the units (the countertop ones) Anton par would never bring one for me to actually try out and their hand held where not functioning on either visit.  Rudolph brought a unit in and sat it up so I could actually see how it ran and use it. Im sure both are good but I just got a way better feel and sales experinece  from Rudolph.