water temp when adding corn.

whiskeytango

Has anyone notices when you add corn and the water temp is below 170 ish that the corn really sinks to the bottom of the mash tun?   It seems like when we add it with the water hotter (closer to 190) it doesnt drop to the bottom as much. 

Any real science to this or am I seeing something else happening? 

We have seen similar results. I think it has to do with gelatinization temps. I believe corn starts to gel at 155F but doesn't really get going until 185-190. Being closer to instantaneous gelatinization increases mash viscosity as soon as that corn starts to hit the hot water and probably keeps quite a few of the solids from reaching the bottom. i could certainly be wrong but that is the way my brain has processed it and my $0.02.

Cheers!

Adam

I think Adam nailed it.  As long as you don't have major clumping problems when mixing in fine milled grain, the higher temp does keep solids suspended better.

We mash in rye with a colder starting temp, as we use a step mash process.  In our old tun (lacking serious agitation), the rye would sit in a pile at the bottom of the tun at the start, and as the temp moved upwards, began to gel and thicken the liquid, it would finally hit a point where it would stay in suspension.  Was a frustrating process as it required going in with a mash paddle to stir up until you hit that point.  Our new tun has a big mixer, so we don't at all notice this happening.

With the instantaneous gelatinization is an interesting theory that  sort of makes sense. Not sure how being more gelatinized makes it float more but IDK either..  I  was thinking more along the lines of the high heat makes the little cavities of air expand and makes it more buoyant.    But I really have no proof either way.. just like to hear theory's 

• 2 months later...