Small Still Recommendations for Neutral / Vodka R&D

JustStillin

Hello All,

I'm seeking a small still for R&D; it would need to be capable of generating neutral spirits.  I have tooled around with the Turbo 500 packed column (https://stillspirits.com/products/turbo-500-still); their literature states upper limits of 186 proof, which I was able to reach (188-189, in fact).  I wasn't able to get to 190 proof, which I'll need for compliance.

I've contemplated fitting the Turbo 500 with a 2" TC adapter and adding a different or taller plated or packed column.  However, I'm not sure of the Turbo's heat output (1600 W) being sufficient.

So, my questions for the community:

1. Are there columns I could fit on the Turbo 500 that could generate >190 proof spirits with its existing heat output?
    or
  2. Are there other small stills that could get me >190 proof?

Some other considerations:

• The wash would be free from solids, so direct heating elements are fine
  • I don't have access to steam
  • Cost and space are considerations - I'm looking for something less than 15 gallon capacity.

Thanks in advance!

we build R&D stills down in the 15 and 30 gallon sizes. directly scalable to our lager stills, so recipes translate directly.

I've attached a picture of a 30 gallon system set up specifically to make vodka and Gin, from grape in Washinton state. Products of which are multiple award winning at world spirits competition and others. consistency distills to 192 Proof

second image is of the same size system for a vineyard in Wisconsin (in production) with copper kettle and columns

dead oak.jpg

image.jpg

On 3/4/2022 at 5:51 PM, ViolentBlue said:

we build R&D stills down in the 15 and 30 gallon sizes. directly scalable to our lager stills, so recipes translate directly.

I've attached a picture of a 30 gallon system set up specifically to make vodka and Gin, from grape in Washington state. Products of which are multiple award winning at world spirits competition and others. consistency distills to 192 Proof

second image is of the same size system for a vineyard in Wisconsin (in production) with copper kettle and columns

dead oak.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks @ViolentBlue!  I'll review this with the powers-that-be and get back.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey JustStillin,

Might want to look into an iStill mini. They're a little on the expensive side, but I might be able to get you a lead on a used one stateside. Let me know!

On 3/4/2022 at 1:48 PM, JustStillin said:

Hello All,

I'm seeking a small still for R&D; it would need to be capable of generating neutral spirits.  I have tooled around with the Turbo 500 packed column (https://stillspirits.com/products/turbo-500-still); their literature states upper limits of 186 proof, which I was able to reach (188-189, in fact).  I wasn't able to get to 190 proof, which I'll need for compliance.

I've contemplated fitting the Turbo 500 with a 2" TC adapter and adding a different or taller plated or packed column.  However, I'm not sure of the Turbo's heat output (1600 W) being sufficient.

So, my questions for the community:

1. Are there columns I could fit on the Turbo 500 that could generate >190 proof spirits with its existing heat output?
    or
  2. Are there other small stills that could get me >190 proof?

Some other considerations:

• The wash would be free from solids, so direct heating elements are fine
  • I don't have access to steam
  • Cost and space are considerations - I'm looking for something less than 15 gallon capacity.

Thanks in advance!

21 hours ago, NateKThompson said:

Hey JustStillin,

Might want to look into an iStill mini. They're a little on the expensive side, but I might be able to get you a lead on a used one stateside. Let me know!

@NateKThompson  Thanks for the suggestion!  I've seen a larger iStill in operation - the mini could be a viable solution.

We build the most reasonably prices R&D stills in the industry starting with jacketed stills that cost less than $1,200.00 in which you can cook corn mash, ferment and distill if you like.  Even our smallest R&D stills can be configured to produce vodka.  We can build R&D stills to produce like the individual large batch still designs of ours and all of our competitors. 417-778-6908 paul@distillery-equipment.com

• 1 year later...