Another whiskey yeast question, FermSolutions strains

Pour Decisions

I'll be placing an order with Ferm Solutions for some enzymes and yeasts. I'd like to try a few of their yeasts while experimenting with a few whisky recipes. Does anyone have experience with their yeast strains and have any input on the flavor profiles or mouth feel each gives? I spoke with a Ferm Solutions rep and all they can really say is that their 927 is their most common bourbon yeast and 921 is similar.

I'll be doing bourbon mashes with varying amounts of wheat. Other than trial an error, any input?

I use the 927 for my Rye, FP1 for my bourbon.  I was happy with each strain's results.  I can not attest to the differences between very well, they were recommended for what I was doing, tried them, liked them, used them.  I am sure this is not much help, but I can state I use them.  I have had great customer service from them, any questions I have the rep will answer usually within an hour, if he does not know he will find out.  

Good choice! Their enzymes are workhorses, and we're happy with the yeast as well. Not to mention, they (Dr Pat Heist) are continually helpful in helping with your process and any flaws you may have in it.

That being said, they haven't had a whole lot to say in the differences between their yeasts that are suggested for grain fermentations. We've only been laying stuff down for three years, and my palate isn't as fine tuned as it needs to be to determine those differences on my own, so I haven't done much experimenting at all really. We use the 927 for both our rye and bourbon ferments and are happy with the results. We pitch and keep the ferments at 80F +/- 5 degrees for primary fermentation, then double pot distill.

Batch distillation vs. continuous distillation will most likely be the biggest difference between us little guys and them, pre barrel anyway. I bet Slick will have some great info on this subject, he knows his shit. I feel like this thread is gonna be a good one.

FP 1 attenuates really well and is highly tolerant to osmotic pressure which makes it their defacto "high proof" option, in some cases the de facto rum option too because it really does well against just straight wash and you guys it juice to a point as well. As has been mentioned here so I won't dwell on it too long it also does really well with thicker bourbon mashes, sometimes it makes sense for us tor really trim up beer gallonage for efficiencies sake or grains sake etc and it handles that well (28 27 beer gallons). However I really like to sour mash it. Run a high proof sour mash with this distillate its pretty wild. Great texture can have great floral notes depending on your mashing technique.

927 can ferment fast and isn't as sensitive to heat and acidity as some of it's classmates. I've seen it rip 20 Brix in 50ish hours. Can finish ferments up to 25/26 Brix no problem.

921 can finish up to 24 Brix in a 72 to 96 hour ferments. Very popular strain a lot of people use this. Great texture. This yeast is versatile can be stretched to extend ferments if need be by cooling  (obviously can't ya know stall a ferment 90% off the way through but ya know)

917 can finish 25 Brix in 48 to 72 hour ferment

048 is not as well known of a yeast strain but its one I like a lot for whiskey. It can't attenuate as well I've never seen it finish a ferment thicker than 22 Brix and it also doesn't like to be rushed but it responds interestingly enough to atmospheric stress.

900 is a newer and lesser discussed yeast with validity atleast for our neck of the woods. Attenuates decently middle of the pack for these ones but does well in cooler fermentation temperatures. Should that be a thing for you.

All of these bone dogs love oxygen early and take off like rockets. 921 and 927 can get finicky with adjunct grains. Will rip 100% corn mashes no issues but with high percentages of rye they seem to not like to finish as strong without being babies along, which is a pleasure to do anyways so who cares.

• Thumbs up 1