Vacuum Relief / Pressure Relief valves for Baine Marie jacketed still

Pour Decisions

I've read a bunch of other threads pertaining to the proper setup of pressure relief valves and vacuum relief valves for the still, but most of what I see is related to steam heated units. Working on the install of my 400 liter baine marie still and will plan to use water in the jacket for heating. I want to ensure I have the appropriate pressure relief and vacuum relief valves in place before the unit gets fired up. My understanding is that I should have a steam rated 5psi pressure relief valve on the top of the still inner tank and I assume the vacuum relief there too as well as a secondary precaution, now should they be 1/2" or 3/4"? What about PR/VR for the outer heating jacket when heated with electric elements in water as the heat source?

Is this the suitable type suitable VR valve?

image.png.723ee51535bfa48e195e512969282dc2.png

• Pour Decisions changed the title to Vacuum Relief / Pressure Relief valves for Baine Marie jacketed still

Vacuum and pressure relief on both the still and the water jacket. 5psi, not 15 like a water heater. Just order them from Paul at Affordable Distilling Equipment if you aren't sure. His prices are going to be as low as anyone else's.

Pour decisions.  The size of your pressure relief and vacuum relief valves 1/2". 3/4" etc is based on the size of your still in gallons.  We are glad to size them for you. Also, you need a pressure relief valve at the top of your column or helmet on the pot or in the line arm.  If you want to turn your still into a steam still using your still's immersion heaters to create the steam, I have a device that I invented called an Open System Pressurization Module which allows you to create steam in a jacket that is open to atmosphere.  Email me paul@distillery-equipment.com and I will help you with all of this.