New in Wisconsin

Just wanted to drop in and say hello. 
I’m a Registered Nurse by trade with a passion for distilled spirits. The grains, the science, the whole gambit. 
I’m at a point in my life I’m contemplating opening a destination distillery. Forming a business plan and doing the parking lot math. I’m here mainly to learn from everyone and do further research. 
Thanks in advance!

Thanks @oboyatelny

At this time I am still researching, forming a business plan and getting some cost estimates. 
I see the value in starting more quickly with a short term, intown lease, but my vision includes a more rural space/farm setting close to town. This has it’s pros and cons. One con being enough of a draw for people to come out and another being the cost. This may mean I have to work a little long in my day job to boost our savings rate before making the leap, but I want to do this right. 
 I will keep you in mind when the time comes. 

22 hours ago, Widirtfishing said:

Thanks @oboyatelny

At this time I am still researching, forming a business plan and getting some cost estimates. 
I see the value in starting more quickly with a short term, intown lease, but my vision includes a more rural space/farm setting close to town. This has it’s pros and cons. One con being enough of a draw for people to come out and another being the cost. This may mean I have to work a little long in my day job to boost our savings rate before making the leap, but I want to do this right. 
 I will keep you in mind when the time comes. 

planning to move a distillery later is a very large expense that needs to be understood up front. You are literally redoing all infrastructure expenses (process piping, steam piping, plumbing, etc.). You're paying to move all essential equipment a second time. Re set the equipment. Recertify it depending on your state. Ugh...... Thats a hard commitment!

1 hour ago, SlickFloss said:

planning to move a distillery later is a very large expense that needs to be understood up front. You are literally redoing all infrastructure expenses (process piping, steam piping, plumbing, etc.). You're paying to move all essential equipment a second time. Re set the equipment. Recertify it depending on your state. Ugh...... Thats a hard commitment!

Which is exactly why I do not want to do it haha

I can understand why some start up distilleries choose to go a short term lease versus purchasing property or buying a building if possible, but it’s not what I envisioned. I want to do this right and would rather stay in my current job longer to save more capital if I needed to. 
i still have a lot of learning to do and research. I’ve literally been reading the forums nonstop at night for last 3 weeks haha Will put pen to paper and start a business plan in April-ish. Right now I’m just taking all my notes and doing my research. 

There is the option is to "expand" to a larger space after a few years. As long as you stay within 10 miles it can stay under the same DSP.  If you do it right you can maintain your sales space in a more touristy or sales oriented area and have a larger production space a few miles away.

But I agree with @SlickFloss Moving a distillery is a expensive and stressful pain.  Plus don't forget you would be down for production if you weren't getting any new equipment.

12 minutes ago, Kindred Spirits said:

There is the option is to "expand" to a larger space after a few years. As long as you stay within 10 miles it can stay under the same DSP.  If you do it right you can maintain your sales space in a more touristy or sales oriented area and have a larger production space a few miles away.

But I agree with @SlickFloss Moving a distillery is a expensive and stressful pain.  Plus don't forget you would be down for production if you weren't getting any new equipment.

Yea that sounds awful to be honest haha i know in my business plan i would outline future expansions to some degree but i see the value in owning the rural property and expanding on the existing premise. 
i will pull that TTP reg on the 10 mile rule. Having a smaller production space with tasting room and a larger production facility within 10 miles could be do able. I wonder if the State would allow 2 tasting rooms for the same DSP though in two locations

• 2 weeks later...

west side of WI here.....don't move.   Good lord the plumbing/electrical/steam/water ---- it's gotta be 50-75% of the overall setup and you DON'T want to do that twice.   Also, not sure Wisconsin requires the 10 mile rule....we can definitely store farther from the distillery for most states, and my guess is the same may apply to the "second" location....plus the cost of an additional DSP license itself is minimal.

3 hours ago, LuckyGuy said:

west side of WI here.....don't move.   Good lord the plumbing/electrical/steam/water ---- it's gotta be 50-75% of the overall setup and you DON'T want to do that twice.   Also, not sure Wisconsin requires the 10 mile rule....we can definitely store farther from the distillery for most states, and my guess is the same may apply to the "second" location....plus the cost of an additional DSP license itself is minimal.

Thanks for the insight @LuckyGuy I appreciate it. That’s exactly the reason i really don’t want to lease a space. If terms changed or new landlords etc it would be too much of a hassle and expense.