Grain Mill Mobile Installation

Has anyone installed a hammer mill that can be moved for use. We are planning to store our mill indoors and move it outside to be used. We have a Hippo hammer mill that is fairly large. I know it is meant to be mounted permanently to a concrete floor. Searching for ideas. We will eventually be moving it to a conex box. 

I don't see why not. Build a frame with casters and move it wherever you want to. One thing to consider is how do you get your grain to your mash tun etc. For my small size operation I have a mill mounted above a metal garage type storage cabinet and mill into 5 gallon buckets inside the cabinet. 

We bought a used Meadows #5 hammer mill that had casters and a riser pole for the cyclone.  We eventually stripped the casters and mounted it to the floor, but it looked like this:

https://www.plantbasedpros.com/product/meadows-hammer-mills-5/

I don't know what mechanism you might have to seal the milled grain output chute, but just running this into a bin or can is an incredibly dusty endeavor.

Mount it to a pallet. Forget wheels & such, they make it less stable. You can then move it around with a pallet jack or forklift. You can also make your own pallet-like thing. Put a 2x4 on edge and it will be just enough for a pallet jack to get underneath. We made our own for our larger tanks so we can move them around and weigh everything easily. We used a thick 2'x4' piece of plywood and 2x4s to make it. 

PXL_20230408_155307307.jpg

• Thumbs up 1