workflow with a larger fermenter?

Rebellion Rum Co

So I've been doing ferments in 1000l IBC totes and I'm looking at upgrading to a 3000l jacketed fermenter so I can get some control over the temperature and environment.

Anyway, right now fill the tote with the right amount of molasses and some raw sugar to my recipe, and fill it up, and I have a drill attachment that agitates the product and thoroughly mixes it.

How do you guys with real fermenters stir up the sugar and molasses to ensure its fully dissolved? If I want to adjust the pH etc and the fermenter doesn't have an agitator, how do you stir that in?

Basically - what do I need to know, and should I buy it or just stick to my totes?

Assuming that your jacketed tank would likely have an agitator - all you would need to do is add your hot water, then your molasses or sugar and using the agitator mix it all up. Then use the cooling feature to bring it down to the desired fermentation temp. Easy. Worth buying the tank for. I dislike fermenting in totes as they are hard to keep bacteria out of.

• 2 weeks later...