Solenoid use for condensers/ fermenters

Can anyone explain the use of solenoid valves to control the flow of cooling water/glycol to their condensers/cooling jackets. I have a basic understanding (I think) of how they work. Recommended brands, setups, and any other tips. Also if you are not using them, how are you controlling the flow. Any info would be very helpful, pictures of setups are always great as well. Thank you.

Cheers,

Chris

We use 110v as well actually.  Fast & easy to set everything up.  

Make sure you get "normally closed" or "closed off" -- so that unless the solenoid receives power from the temperature controller, the flow of the glycol is blocked.  Normally open would mean glycol always flowing unless temperature controller turns it off. 

On off solenoid valves are great for fermenter jacket cooling however they can cause surging when used for coolant flow control for a still's condensers.  Proportional valves with PLC control work well for controlling condenser coolant flow but that can be expensive. A really simple and inexpensive way to control condenser coolant flow is a thermostatic Danfoss valve.  No energy source or controller is needed for a thermostatic valve and the valve operates in a proportional manner.  If you are interested in Thermostatic Danfoss valves just let me know.  paul@distillery-equipment.com  Most of the German still builders use Danfoss thermostatic valves.

2 hours ago, Southernhighlander said:

If you are interested in Thermostatic DanFoss valves just let me know.  paul@distillery-equipment.com  Most of the German still builders use Danfoss thermostatic valves.

Do the Danfoss valves every need servicing or adjustment? We've had one on our still for 15 years controlling the dephleg and it seems like maybe it's sensitivity has shifted lately. 

7 hours ago, JustAndy said:

Do the Danfoss valves every need servicing or adjustment? We've had one on our still for 15 years controlling the dephleg and it seems like maybe it's sensitivity has shifted lately. 

I'll see what I can find out and get back to you Monday.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2024 at 9:02 PM, Southernhighlander said:

I'll see what I can find out and get back to you Monday.

I had one of my employees look into it.  He didn't find anything so he is checking with our supplier and I will get back to you with what he finds out.  As far as I know none of our customers have ever had any issues with them, but we have only been in business for 12 years.