How long did it take you to start up?

Hi All,

Just a very general question , please answer if you feel up to it, I am just looking for some data points.

We opened our distillery about 13 years ago, and regulations were very different than they are now. I was just curious, how long did it take you to get your distillery up and running. From the time you first put pen to paper, till you received your final basic federal permit.

Any information is greatly appreciated. The information is just for personal curiosity and will not be used in any type of publication, just fyi.

Hi All,

Just a very general question , please answer if you feel up to it, I am just looking for some data points.

We opened our distillery about 13 years ago, and regulations were very different than they are now. I was just curious, how long did it take you to get your distillery up and running. From the time you first put pen to paper, till you received your final basic federal permit.

Any information is greatly appreciated. The information is just for personal curiosity and will not be used in any type of publication, just fyi.

What we have found from our attendees to our week long workshops is that the county and city folks are more of a problem. Mostly in what to do with a distillery. Still new to a lot of areas.

What we have found from our attendees to our week long workshops is that the county and city folks are more of a problem. Mostly in what to do with a distillery. Still new to a lot of areas.

Any input from the federal side?

Just curious as to how long its taking people nowadays to get their DSP licenses

About 60 days for us.

Just curious as to how long its taking people nowadays to get their DSP licenses

Yesterday, I spoke with a recent start-up in the northeast. They said it took them 8 days to get their DSP. The TTB told them it was a new record. I think you just need to be extremely well prepared.

Todd

Pen to paper was three years ago when I read about the

NY farm distillery act. This is a part time endeavor at the moment. Excavating, planting, building a building, a road, a bridge.... Two years and never done. Federal filing was 45 days and would have been quicker but I was out of the country (job that pays the bills) when they had a few questions about alternating use of tanks and space. NY state has been 4 months and counting. Local government has been great.. notice and one town meeting. Ag and markets has also been a pleasure. Much to my surprise the Feds were efficient, and helpful not what I expected from the federal government at all!

Ken

From the time we sent in the application to the time we got our permit was 99 days.

We only had one issue with our bond, but we got caught up in Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.

From the start of the first business plan until the we actually opened up, it was right at 2 years.

Hi All,

Dear Dave

glad you asked.. And so happy to see people that started years ago when regulations were just safety in mind. Now they are blown out of proportion. From city codes, to fire and everyone in between.. It used to be electrical did the building wiring and you connecting your filling line or other machines to it, now they think they can dictate ( and do) tell you how you can connect things, explosion proof the facility, ventilate the neighborhood, and instill outrageous rules and regulations that can only make sense to insurance agents and their cousins.

it took us 18 months to get going and We thought TTB was a stickler, then We thought the state was just as bad, until we came across the city inspectors and their "CODE BOOKS"!!! The book that has so much black and white and sections going back and forth and referencing each other that interpretation can only be left the the individual inspector and city. So you can face strict regulation that can and will put you out of business in a year or two, or they have enough common sense to recognize small businesses are the heart of any economic growth and we pay their salaries with our taxes and they have an obligation to us to but us in a position to prosper.

I feel many new distilleries will go under and unfortunately the regulations are such that it makes it very difficult to start with a small budget and low overhead as codes and regulations create too much up front cost just to get the C of O and operate..

All the best to our growing distilling community and thanks Dave for the opportunity to vent against all those lobbyists that are stifling our small businesses.