Beer supplier for distillery

dkr02

We're doing a study now for the startup expenses on a distillery project, and am wondering if there are any breweries that can supply beer to us as opposed to doing our own mashing and fermentation. I think it would be in the neighborhood of 1000 gallons at the time. Any suggestions?

Rick

Guest Rarnold3

Initially, Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey pumped beer over from the next door Flying Dog Brewery. You may try contacting them for advice.

You may want to check TTB regulations.

Correct on the can't-do tranport of 'beer' or wine for that matter. Best thing to do is have them do the mashing and transport the wort to your location prior to yeast pitching. You aren't transporting or purchasing alchohol at that point, just sugar water. This was briefly discussed here on the forum and at a TTB discussion in Chicago.

Otherwise, you get into a bond-to-bond transfer paperwork thing.

And the cooking is what takes up most of your space anyway. In St.Louis they do the wort on brewery side of the building, transfer once cooled to 50 gal plastic barrels, wheel them to the distillery and pitch the yeast.

• 3 weeks later...

Hiring a brewery has it advantages and disadvantages. You really need to be able to trust your provider because you will be dependent on them. I started paying someone else to do our fermentation but ended up taking over fermentation for consistency and control. A brewery will always make their beer production their first priority, as they should. If you have a trusted partner then go for it, but in the end I like to hold the keys to my own fortune. Contracting wash got us big enough to buy our own equipment, so I cant complain, just make sure it is right for your situation.

• 2 weeks later...

We're doing a study now for the startup expenses on a distillery project, and am wondering if there are any breweries that can supply beer to us as opposed to doing our own mashing and fermentation. I think it would be in the neighborhood of 1000 gallons at the time. Any suggestions?

Rick

Aside from regulation there are lot's of other issues also. 1- Infections 2- time after fermentation is complete 3-Transportation the list can go on and on