Natural gas burner

Hello and greetings from Seattle! My name is Ben Capdevielle and I am co-founder and distiller at Captive Spirits. We are right in the middle of our DSP permitting. I am looking for some advice on a large diameter natural gas burner to fire our 120 gallon Vendome pot. I need about 150K BTUs. I am also needing to find out how to ignite the burner. We are required to have interlocks that shut down the gas supply if our condenser or vent fan stop working. If anyone out there has any advice on these subjects Captive Spirits would sure be happy to hear it.

Cheers,

Ben Capdevielle

Hello and greetings from Seattle! My name is Ben Capdevielle and I am co-founder and distiller at Captive Spirits. We are right in the middle of our DSP permitting. I am looking for some advice on a large diameter natural gas burner to fire our 120 gallon Vendome pot. I need about 150K BTUs. I am also needing to find out how to ignite the burner. We are required to have interlocks that shut down the gas supply if our condenser or vent fan stop working. If anyone out there has any advice on these subjects Captive Spirits would sure be happy to hear it.

Cheers,

Ben Capdevielle

Take a look at Ward Burner's site (wardburner.com). You need a rectified burner system.

CT

Good deal, Ben. I'm curious to hear the result of your research, and I thank you in advance for posting your findings.

I'm looking into a similar setup for a 140 gallon pot still. I've been trying to sort out potential delivery pressure with my gas company to determine an appropriate 300k btu burner for my set up. It's looking like I'll be into it for around 1-2k dollars -- which is a bit more than I expected for a burner (but hey... what doesn't cost more than expected?)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll second Chip's advice to call Ward, I took it and am very glad I did. Mark Ward knows what he's talking about and after a couple of conversations with him I think a take away for this thread is that these systems really depend on a lot of variables unique to each installation and require a little custom design. The gas pressure you'll have at your burner (not to your building) will drive the size of your burner, intensity of flame, and determine all the controls. Do you want full electronic control or are you going to manually light, if so how manual? Long lighter? You need to think about combustion air, venting the burner, how much clearance you have. There's a lot to consider and Mark was very helpful getting it all figured out. I don't think their website shows them but they sell impinged flame jet burners and their prices are pretty reasonable when all is said and done.