used stainless tank question

jlevac

Foreshots can be used to clean just about anything. They did a great number on a skunky smelling tote we had. We rotated the tote every few days letting the foreshots soak in on each side and it got rid of the smell. I think it would do the same with SS.

Stainless will be more forgiving than plastics, so based on Panoscape's advice I'd go for it provided the price was right and the tanks are actually useful in a distillery environment. Plenty of distillers store their new make spirits in HDPE white plastic drums until ready for use. This may be a more cost effective solution for a new startup.

A couple of my first fermenting bins were food oil IBC totes. It was easy enough to clean off the oil residue, and it took some steaming to reclaim a neutral cent. Point of the story...if they are a good deal, in decent shape, and you don't mind taking a little time to clean them (granted you could try to a vinegar solution), than you can easily get away using them.

• 2 weeks later...

Be sure to never put bleach on stainless!!! It will destroy the alloy that makes stainless not rust!

I personally would try micoabels or the nuclear last option is nitric acid. Be ultra careful!! It will remove any impurity a in or on stainless.

Another note: take a magnet with you when you buy your tank. Cheap stainless a magnet will stick to,and if it sticks to it it has less nickel and more steel it the metal and can or could rust easy.

Good luck!

Joseph

Master Distiller

www.dehnerdistillery.com