Diaphragm Pumps and Size of Compressors

Curtis

If I am running an air powered diaphragm pump for mash transfers and the manufacturer of the pump states that I'll need 150 CFM at maximum PSI, but when I talk to an air compressor sales guy he suggests I buy a 50 HP AC that is the size of a truck and costs about the same. I know there are members out there that are using the same type of pump, 2 inch outlet/inlet, for mash transfers and if at all possible could you let me know what size of air compressor you are using? A simple HP rating would be fine. Thank you very much for your help.

Yes, that is what the pump manufacture will recommend. I can tell you certainly, from several distilleries using the same, a 60 gallon twin cylinder from harbor freight will operate this pump. It won't be a max speed but it will transfer mash with solids at 500 gallons in 10 minutes or less using that pump. $800 not on sale. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-hp-60-gallon-165-psi-two-stage-air-compressor-93274.html

The 1.5 inch tend to have issues with the solids of a corn mash more than the 2 ". Also the Graco brand uses round balls for the valves and work better than the sandpiper ones. Search ebay for Graco pumps. The pump body is insignificant. Graco sells an upgrade kit for stainless wetted parts and Teflon valves and diaphragms. very cheap for an upgrade.

I run a 1" ARCO (?) with a 2 HP, 10 gallon tank. Obviously it works very poorly, but the pump itself rocks. I have upgraded to a 60 Gallon, 5hp Ingersol Rand and will install it over the weekend. It will actually pump the mash with the little compressor, but takes a long time.

the smaller 60g compressor will work for intermittent operation. the salesman is not incorrect, in that if you are going to run anything semi-continuously (like an agitator), the 60g will be over worked and likely fail eventually. for continuous operation of the pump, you should have a much larger industrial compressor.