enolmaster filters seemingly clogged when brand new

Rum

Just put some new cartridges in the enolmaster. Opened the bypass valve. Tried to filter r/o water through to rinse them. The vacuum ran up to 55 or so. Hose from filter housing unit to filler was partially collapsing due to not being able to pull the water through the filters. Turn on bypass or take the filters out and it pumps through fine.

These are brand new filter cartridges. This is the second time this has happened. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Or can these cartridges be defective?

Two different micron sizes. .2 and .5. Flow is fine without the filters in place. They are extremely slow flowing before anything other than r/o water has touched them.

Other filters from the same source work fine. Not sure if these are defective or what.

They are made for the Enolmaster so they should be made for liquid.

Is it possible to damage them with too much vacuum before they are fully submersed?

Two different micron sizes. .2 and .5. Flow is fine without the filters in place. They are extremely slow flowing before anything other than r/o water has touched them.

Other filters from the same source work fine. Not sure if these are defective or what.

Check the head o-ring on each filter element is in place, check they are seated properly.

No you cant damage them with too much vacuum in the Enolmaster, they are very robust. A damaged filter opens up, you'd get full flow with no resistance.

What is the flow rate with just water? Or without the filter in line.

Surface tension can make it appear as if a very fine filter is blocked.

If your filter medium is slightly wet but there is air on both sides of the filter, the surface tension between the water and the fine filter material can "block" the filter.

If it is an in-line filter, see if you can pour some liquid into the inlet side and displace the air and I am reasonably confident it will start working.

Please let me know if this solves the problem

Pete

What is the flow rate with just water? Or without the filter in line.

Without the filter it flows very fast. Put the filters in and it gets very slow. It will only flow through two heads at once and extremely slow at that. This is true of the .2s and the .5s.

Surface tension can make it appear as if a very fine filter is blocked.

If your filter medium is slightly wet but there is air on both sides of the filter, the surface tension between the water and the fine filter material can "block" the filter.

If it is an in-line filter, see if you can pour some liquid into the inlet side and displace the air and I am reasonably confident it will start working.

Please let me know if this solves the problem

Pete

Thanks Pete. I will experiment with that. So far though it seems to be dependent on the specific filters that I use. The same setup process works fine with one set of filters but fails with another set. Repeatedly. So I suspect that either the filters are defective or I somehow damaged them.

You might want to talk directly with whomever is your local PALL distributor representative, or other manufacturer. There are a lot of fine differences between the different filter types. The Enolmatic and Enolmaster use the same filter type (10" flat closed end cartridge), but then there can be a wide range of specific variations on pore size, type, material, reinforcement, etc.

• 1 month later...

RUM,

A nearby distillery tried to flush out enolmatic filters with warm RO water and they became blocked.

Did you flush with hot water?

• 3 months later...

RUM,

A nearby distillery tried to flush out enolmatic filters with warm RO water and they became blocked.

Did you flush with hot water?

We use room temperature RO water. It can be pretty warm in the summer here. Are you suggesting hot water? Or not hot water?

They believed the hot water(don't know the exact temperature) caused the filter to block.

Interesting. Our water is not what us Floridians would call hot, but it can be pretty warm in the summer (maybe 90 or 95 F). That is when we had the problem. I'll cool the water first in the future and see if we still run into the problem.

Thanks!