Proofing equipment

paclawyer

I am completing my DSP application and in anticipating of approval in the next few months. I am looking for a certified/calibrated hydrometer and thermometer, as well as a proofing vessel. ( i was told to try to find one with a sight glass) Any leads would be appreciated. phil@frankfortspirits.com

Here ya go.

Hydrometers

Thermometer

If proofing by weight, legal for trade scales

Don't forget your certified weight of measure to calibrate your scale... I'll let you google that little bugger.

Your proofing vessel can be just about anything that your scale can hold, TARE and doesn't go beyond the scale weight limit.

I built my own proofing vessel...

Easy to get a (plastic, stainless) vessel of your size choice and install a sight glass (if you use a translucent plastic, you can see the liquid level inside) and then tediously fill it using an accurate vessel the size that you want your gradations to be at.

I have a 5 gal vessel with 100 ml gradations, and a 60 gal vessel with 250 ml gradations, as well as 2 other 60 gallon vessels with 1 liter gradations. These are adequate for me, as I run a 60 gallon still.

Make sure you use a rigid plastic or glass for your manometer, or make your gradation marks on a rigid surface...flexible tubing stretches.

One easy solution is to put a length of tape measure on your vessel and a flexible tube in front of it. I had this on several 60 bbl fermenters, and it worked great! Then you just need to know your vessel volume and you can have a handy dandy conversion chart. On fermenters it worked because of the changing ratio depending on what your cone height.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

A question about purchasing the calibrations. With the RTD thermometer, do you need both the meter and the probe certified? And for the Hydrometers, do you just get your final proofing hydrometer certified, but for your parrot and other hydrometers would you forgo the certification?

Chris

Here ya go.

Hydrometers

Thermometer

If proofing by weight, legal for trade scales

Don't forget your certified weight of measure to calibrate your scale... I'll let you google that little bugger.

Your proofing vessel can be just about anything that your scale can hold, TARE and doesn't go beyond the scale weight limit.

• 1 month later...

WWW.REDBOOTSTILLS.COM

use "novatech" they have certified hydrometer that are just for the TTB specs

The Novatech's are a bit more expensive than the H-B's from Cole Parmer. To be the calibrated hydrometer, you have to purchase the calibration extra, far more expensive than the hydrometer. Cole Parmer offer's the single point calibration for about half the price of the 3-point calibration from Novatech. You could also do your own secondary calibration from primary calibrated hydrometers, theoretically.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Are the .1 scale high precision hydrometers from HB Instruments worthwhile? They seem to be taller which would be a good thing but is there appreciably more space between the graduations for the expensive .1 models vs. the inexpensive .2 ones?

The .1 high precision ones seem to be rarely mentioned here which is why I wonder if they offer useful precision for our purposes.