Sanitary Welding

tipk99

Sanitary welding provides a smooth inner surface that has no nooks and crannies for things to hide in. In dairy and brewing its important because you don't want bacteria. I wad curious because in a still you are getting up to temps thatwould kill bacteria... So I was thinking a smooth weld would be good enough. Even if not to sanitary standards.

What are the consequences of not using a strict sanitary weld? I'm not talking about a sloppy, loose weld, but a good clean, smooth weld (and passivated)... Anyone else out there care to chime in? Not that I don't value LeftTurn's opinion, but he the only one so far...

Thanks

Tom

I certainly can't speak with the level of expertise that Brain from Leftturn and a few others probably could, but... if your talking about welding a piece of equipment that you care about or spent a good chunk of change on - do it right. If it's temporary or experimental - I say go for the dirty weld if it gets you where you need to be. Depending on how dirty... my understanding is that you risk contaminating the stainless with impurities that can weaken the weld, cause pitting and potentially rust. I've had a few bits stuck onto stainless vessels without a completely sanitary welding process (back flushing with argon - and/or whatever else a welder who knows more than me would do), and those welds are holding up just fine, but these are on some crappy tanks that I could care less about.