Type II Hood?

tipk99

Does everyone out there have a type II hood above your stills? Is this a common requirement by building officials? I've engaged our code officials early (I don't even have a lease yet), and they seem open to not requiring a hood "as long as I can build a case..." But I don't even know where to start? What documents/codes would require the use of a hood? Has anyone dealt with this and successfully "built a case" against requiring a hood?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom

We just have an exhaust above the still runs continuously with a heat exchange box, also provides regular fresh air for the entire room, and keeps the room slightly negative to the rest of the building. Far cheaper than modifying entire, and otherwise cheap, HVAC. Also, we have above not far from still a big roof exhaust we can turn on whenever we have a reason to. Luckily, that was already in the building when we leased it, just had to fix the motor.

Odds are this is where they are pulling the code from saying you need a vent

507.2.2 Type II hoods.

Type II hoods shall be installed above dishwashers and appliances that produce heat or moisture and do not produce grease or smoke as a result of the cooking process, except where the heat and moisture loads from such appliances are incorporated into the HVAC system design or into the design of a separate removal system. Type II hoods shall be installed above all appliances that produce products of combustion and do not produce grease or smoke as a result of the cooking process. Spaces containing cooking appliances that do not require Type II hoods shall be provided with exhaust at a rate of 0.70 cfm per square foot (0.00033 m3/s). For the purpose of determining the floor area required to be exhausted, each individual appliance that is not required to be installed under a Type II hood shall be considered as occupying not less than 100 square feet (9.3 m2). Such additional square footage shall be provided with exhaust at a rate of 0.70 cfm per square foot [.00356 m3/(s · m2].

The thing is these codes are all for commercial kitchens and you are not a commercial kitchen. Also unless your using open fire to heat your still your not going to get any noticeable heat from it and also no vapor.

Its a tough argument to make with the un in formed fire marshal who also happens to sign off on your project.