farm versus industrial building

captnKB

Are they any particular benefits to operating a farm distillery versus locating a distillery in an industrial building in california?

There are some benefits I can see such as living close to the distillery, possibly growing some of the grain for use. Eventually owning the distillery aka not be forever tied to a lease.

Breaks in taxes?

Different classifaction?

Sell to the public?

Been doing much research but can't seem to any clear cut answer

It may come down to what kind of story do you want to tell. The folks at Industry City are killing it with their "Made by Nerds" narrative. I think the "Farm to Bottle" story is a great one, too. What's your story?

A key distinction would be zoning. A farm may have no applicable zoning code whatsoever. An industrial building may have zoning restrictions.

Zoning is one of the most important factors in choosing the site for your distillery; and may determine whether you can open it at all in any given location.

More of a problem in cities, historical districts especially, where you can't locate chillers outdoors and can't discharge hot refrigerant condenser air easily if chiller placed indoors. Usually means going to a split chiller, costing more in piping and installation.

I know of guys who had to move entirely because a town "changed their minds" on whether to allow a distillery in town.

• 3 weeks later...