Pumps

rtshfd

I know there's a lot of discussion on pumps used in distilleries here. I'm looking for specific recommendations on size and brands to pursue for the two types of pumps we want to use.

first is a spirit pump, SS/ptfe internals, double diaphragm pneumatic pump. I'm only planning on using this for spirit transfer. Considering that, does anyone have a suggested size? We have a huge onsite compressor already.

Second is a grain-in mash pump. This is where I'm a bit lost. I've seen centrifugal and flexible impeller thrown around here. We're planning on moving 300 G grain-in from cooker to fermenters and then to still. What are the pros and cons of the two I mentioned? Considering our scale is one better than the other? What size would be fitting?

Finally how does everyone mount or otherwise locate their pumps? Stationary? on carts?

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any advice you all can give!

• Thumbs up 1

Unless you have an end-to-end engineered system, you'll probably be better off with a mash pump cart, just provides a little bit more flexibility. The mash pump will probably be heavier than you think as well, so if you are thinking by stationary, you mean you might manually move it around, no way. The small spirit diaphragm pumps are small enough that if you just rigged a base and carrying handle, you'd probably be fine.

I have both ARO and Yamada diaphragm pumps. The ARO is polypropylene and teflon, and the Yamada is all teflon. Both are nice, the ARO is 1/2" and can pump around 12 gpm at full speed, the Yamada is 3/8" and can pump around 2-3 gpm. They don't use much air at all. The Yamada is a pretty small pump, the ARO isn't much bigger. Someone posted a picture here of one mounted to a skateboard, it doesn't need much. Stainless variants aren't really dramatically different, just different housings, slightly heavier.

Mash pump, can't comment on FIP or Centrifugal, as we use a PD lobe pump. But these things get heavy fast, our pump and drive train on the cart has got to be around 250 pounds, and it's only a 3hp pump, it would be impossible to manage without a cart. The FIP and Centrifugals should be a little bit lighter, but if it's anywhere around 2-3 hp, it's going to be 100-150 pounds with the cart, the motors alone are going to be 60-70 pounds. You'll also want to go with a VFD/Speed Control, which is going to be much easier to use if it's cart mounted. If you are buying new, I can't imagine it's going to be significantly more expensive to just buy one of these as a complete system.

We use a 7gpm Yamada for spirits transfer and it works great. If you already have a big compressor, you might want to consider a heavy duty air diaphragm pump for mash transfer as well. They are a little loud but they are easy to service and can move heavy, high temp mash with ease if sized correctly. we have a loaner right now while waiting on replacement parts for an impeller pump and it works well.

Yamada seems to be a brand many people here use. Thank you jamesbednar for the input.

One Eight D, we have a huge compressor on site that's networked all through the facility as it used to be a manufacturing warehouse. I'll have to play with the numbers to size it right, but how big (or small) would you go for 300 G of rye, corn and malt mashes for the air diaphragm pumps?

One thing I'd caution you about Flexible impeller pumps, is if you are filtering spirits with one you'll likely have higher than anticipated costs replacing your impellers. The inoxpa ones I've used are about 350 a pop to replace, and we were going through 2-3 a year. Apparently pumping 80 proof spirits for hours degrades the fins of the impeller and they snap off after a while.

I've also used gear displacement pumps, and the internals seem to be pretty durable, and I believe are pretty cheap. The pump head on ours was around 600 bucks, the electric motor can be found cheap, and the controllers can be 300 bucks and up.

Second JamesBednar on the mash pump .. We use Waukesha Lobe pumps that are all stainless in 1-1/2, 2, and 2-1/2 they get VERY Heavy .. With motor and drive .. my 2-1/2 on the cart weighs 450 lbs..... These things will pump very heavy mash ... I bought mine off ebay in component level and built carts, added motors and drives ... Do some research , you can buy 3-5hp Allen Bradley or GE drives starting @ 15.00 ... Pumps usually in the 300-1000 price range .. Gear motors 1:4 to 1;6 ratio 100-300$$