Distillery and Kitchen combination

1. Talk to your insurance agent.

2. Talk to your local or state health department (or whatever agency regulates commercial kitchens).

3. Talk to your fire marshal, building permit office, and any other relevant agencies.

4. After receiving contradictory advice, rules, and requirements from all the players listed above, try and get them to talk to each other and agree! (Joke...or maybe not.)

I would imagine the location of the kitchen is probably more important to your operation plan than to inspectors. I have a friend who has a very nice bistro, but - the kitchen is on the ground floor and the dining area is upstairs - and so they (and staff) have to either walk up and down stairs or, use the dumbwaiter. Either way is a frustrating bottleneck - as they have learned. 

It's really more for useable event space upstairs with a kitchen which is on the second floor above the distillery. Kitchen on the same floor at the event space. The space is firewalled without sprinklers.  Sprinklers may be a necessity I think in this arrangement but the stove is a gas range....hmmmm. Thoughts?

This should be completely up to your Authority Having Jurisdiction.  They have the final say on whether or not the space needs sprinklers.  If you will have an F-1 occupancy and wish to have a 240 gal MAQ you will need sprinkler within your distillery.