grain storage bins / systems

Christian

Pete, thanks for the reply. The type grain was mentioned: corn. Is it a safe assumption any company that makes grain storage bins would make a full range small and large? I'd be happy to talk quantity with the vendor. I'm just looking for suggestions from satisfied customers no matter what their own quantities are. Thanks!

We talked with several large grain producers in our area, and 'paired up' with one who is very willing to help us out. We are hiring him to store our corn in his silos, will deliver set amounts to us at our distillery location as we need it. Once we decided on the smaller silo - or storage equipment- that we'll use at our location, I'll get back with you. Good luck with your plan.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has experience with any grain storage bins they'd recommend: both large quantity off site bins (for tons of corn) and smaller on-site bins and systems to transfer to a miller and on to the mash tun. Thanks :)

We get all our grain from local farmers and it comes to us in 2000# totes loaded on pallets. Coop

For our malting operation we handle as much grain as possible in 2000 lb bulk bags. If you have a forklift you can easily maneuver them from the top loops or by lifting with a pallet below. To feed my seed cleaning equipment and malting system, I lift the bag by the top loops, and then open the emptying spout on the bottom. Once you place the spout into the hopper and grain starts flowing out, it will maintain the level in the hopper, just make sure that you are submerging the spout in the pile of grain in the hopper and not lifting the spout above that pile. As long as you maintain contact between the spout and the grain, the material will maintain the level and in your case be constantly fed into your mill. If you lift the bag above the hopper and lose contact with the hopper pile you will have a pile of grain around your mill as there will be nothing to restrict the flow - a good way to load a vessel, bad way to load your mill.

I don't know where your mill is, but if it is floor mounted you could easily auger the ground grain into your mash tun. I can add more, but need to know more about your distillery layout to really help.

You can buy industrial shelving that will support the bags easily to maximize storage space.

I think the bulk bags are a great way to handle grain, because you don't risk hurting yourself when a forklift is doing all the lifting. I recommend using bags with a duffle top, and spout bottom, there are numerous configurations, but I have found that one to be the easiest way to load and unload them.

Coop is short for Cooper. Coopers were barrel makers so I am not sure what my ancestors were as I have only been able to check back to the 1880's. My grand father was a share cropper (white slaves) before migrating west from Arkansas. Very early many migrants took there names from the jobs they did but I am unable to confirm that that is what they originally did. Coop

• 1 year later...

how long can a 2000lb bag be in storage? We are struggling to find winter wheat, and would like to buy a years worth(10,000 lbs) this harvest. considered another small bin, but like the bags also.

Thanks,

Brad

For long term grain storage, you may want to get bins that can be aerated. This would help to prevent mould growth if the humidity gets to high. Any farm supplier that deals in grain storage bins will be able to help you and discuss the best options.

Although I've never used those bulk tote bags for grain, I can say that they do work excellent as long as you have a good forklift.

Bradocaster, if you are going to store winter wheat for that long, you will probably need to have some sort of way to kill the bugs. Unless everything is spotless, you are very likely to get grain weevils (lesser grain borers seem to be the worst). You can kill the live ones with refrigeration, but I'm not sure you can kill any eggs without freezing. You can also put food grade diatomaceous earth on the grain for prevention (the crystals actually cut their exoskeleton and they dehydrate).

Anyway, that's a long time to store grain, IMO. If you need a source for wheat in Ohio, I have a contact. He only has organic, but he will do it in bulk bags or in 50 lb bags, ready to go. He's about 2.5 hours from you, but he will ship.

• 8 months later...

Malthandling.com. I just spent over an hour on the phone with Rusty Reilly on equipment to take grain from grain trailer/grain bins - to silo - to mill - (weighed properly) - to mash tun. All of this done by flexible augers, hoppers, and automatic flow scales, etc. I have looked for months for turnkey grain handling equipment and they have everything that you could possibly need.

• 3 months later...

I do have someone down here in the SE that does all sorts of ag grain handling & silos all the way to production (flour/sugar/etc) feed systems and controls.

(we were laughing- he grew up in KY and remembers his Grandpas 'Ol still fondly, ahem)

Mike