Mash PH

DWBM1

Needing to bring down the PH of our mash, doing a 100% corn cook no malted barley so using some enzymes but the enzymes PH range is lower than our mash as is, I know people have suggested malic acid, citric acid, phosphoric etc. for this, we have Malic, how much does it take though to bring the PH down?

What is your current pH of your mash? That will dictate how much you will need to add.

If its just slightly out of range it will most likely come down once the mash starts fermenting. If you want to lower it during mashing, you could always add in some pH stabilizer like red star 5.2.

How large of a mash are you cooking? If its just a small trial batch, I would let it go and see how the ferment goes. Typically on the grain mashes experience a fall in pH overnight after pitching.

Also what enzymes are you using for the mash?

Those enyzmes work better at elevated temps, you should pitch them during the mashing routine, especially the HTL, as that will help with conversion along with the GL at a lower temp.

I have had good success splitting the high temp alpha in half and putting half on the heat up to gelatinization and the other half on the way down.  Then pitch all the GL once you are down to its prefferred temp.

There's a thread that warns against Citric acid on here. I use Lactic, as it is most likely being formed during fermentation by Lactobacillus anyways. I feel like it's the closest alternative to backset without using backset.

Having a lower starting Ph can have other benefits as well. Like keeping out mold and butyric acid.

Malic îs great

Lactic is great too depends on your spirit type and your product goals

Citric adjustments have been something identified by spirit judges as a noticeable flaw in some distillates, not everyone who has ever adjusted with citric but some in contests have received that feedback.

In my experience through my career working with a few larger operations in and around Louisville and cinci citric adjustments sparingly used except for in infected ferms

just my .02

Slick

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 1:06 PM, SlickFloss said:

Malic îs great

Lactic is great too depends on your spirit type and your product goals

Citric adjustments have been something identified by spirit judges as a noticeable flaw in some distillates, not everyone who has ever adjusted with citric but some in contests have received that feedback.

In my experience through my career working with a few larger operations in and around Louisville and cinci citric adjustments sparingly used except for in infected ferms

just my .02

Slick

Can you elaborate more on the citric acidulation being a flaw in spirits comps? I've always used citric since the start of my distilling career (we used tartaric at my various winery jobs) and I've never been able to detect citric in the spirit. I've never used lactic either, it seems to be a favorite for those that come from a brewing background.

On 4/12/2023 at 5:48 PM, C_Kelly said:

Can you elaborate more on the citric acidulation being a flaw in spirits comps? I've always used citric since the start of my distilling career (we used tartaric at my various winery jobs) and I've never been able to detect citric in the spirit. I've never used lactic either, it seems to be a favorite for those that come from a brewing background.

Sorry can't really go into it it's feedback I have been given from spirits comps for products I have consulted on, specifically an aged brandy and contest was SF that's why I delivered it with a caveat because I don't know what they're talking about but they were right I did do that. I have heard Fraley touch on it but never explain herself.

Edited by SlickFloss
Clarity/Typos

We would have looked into backset if we had it but we usually do a multi grain mash bill and this was for a 100% single grain that we were running as a new thing so did not have backset for it unfortunately, I dont have much experience adjusting PH outside of using backset