How does pH effect yield during distillation

RumBumm

Thank you.

I was wondering on when to add the Dunder. I used to add it to the mash after a day's ferment and the yeast had established already. 
Subsequently my dunder pit turn bad to the smell and I wouldn't want to taste it straight up. Doing a little research on the old Jamaican dunder pits its said that they were that bad but I didn't want to ruin a whole batch. 
Adding the dunder in the ferment drops the PH quickly which is a whole different problem. I was wanting the add the addition of the dunder post fermentation but predistillation which would lower the ph. significantly. 
So was wondering what effect this would have. The basis of thinking was that the longer the two components were in contact the better the esterification would be. 

Dunder can be added at a few different stages and have a unique effect at each stage. 

If you need to drop your pH at the start of your ferment, then adding dunder is a great way to drop it without having to pH adjsut using other acids.

Dunder also doesnt have to "stink". I have used a variety of dunders, even some cultivated with specific fruits, which smell delicious. They also slightly changed the flavor profile of the run when added directly to the boiler, and have more robust notes when added into the thumpers.

I would recommend adding the dunder in at different times on a small scale to see how it effects the end product. See what you like and go from there.

I had always thought that  rum dunder is used in a similar way that whiskey back set (set back) is used to lower the pH of the mash, before pitching , and help with consistent flavor from batch to batch. I would think that the quick drop in pH would have a negative effect on the yeast during fermentation, if added then.  Keep me posted, on how and where you are using the dunder, I am interested.

4 minutes ago, TwentySevenBrewing said:

I had always thought that  rum dunder is used in a similar way that whiskey back set (set back) is used to lower the pH of the mash, before pitching , and help with consistent flavor from batch to batch. I would think that the quick drop in pH would have a negative effect on the yeast during fermentation, if added then.  Keep me posted, on how and where you are using the dunder, I am interested.

I have always read the same.....but I have always wondered how much of the "consistent flavour batch to batch" is science (not sure what the science would be and would definitely be interested) and how much is marketing.   Seems to me that mash pH needs to be lowered for enzymes and yeast and distilleries happen to have a free source of acid (backset/dunder) to use and make things more cost effective than purchasing acids.   That said, rum won't taste like rum without some sort of bacteria (i.e. dunder pit) in my experience (tried to make rum, tastes like molasses distillate and none of the rum-like headsy flavours...suppose I could have distilled it differently with wider cuts but rum was just an experiment).

• 1 month later...

Not sure dropping PH post ferment it will affect yield in any significant way but acid is a catalyst for fisher esterficiation so if you have significant volatile acidity and can run low and slow or with reflux, you increase the likelihood of producing esters in the still.