Whey spirits - any advice on production and taste/mouthfeel?

Has anyone had any experience producing whey spirits? A local goat cheese place is asking us to use the whey (for free) so it doesn't go to waste. Any production notes for fermentation and distillation? How about mouthfeel and flavor?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have tried a vodka made from a milk by-product called VodKow there is a weird mouth feel that coats your mouth in the same way too much propylene glycol would. I also find and the faint memory of milk (perhaps it is only in my mind, knowing it is made from a milk product) But it was not unpleasant and great in cream based mixers. I would not like to drink it straight, but that is my own preference.

workpress

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2023 at 1:37 PM, Workpress said:

I have tried a vodka made from a milk by-product called VodKow there is a weird mouth feel that coats your mouth in the same way too much propylene glycol would. I also find and the faint memory of milk (perhaps it is only in my mind, knowing it is made from a milk product) But it was not unpleasant and great in cream based mixers. I would not like to drink it straight, but that is my own preference.

workpress

• 4 weeks later...

Foreshot,

Sorry, I have not been on the forums in a while.  I regularly make spirits from whey permeate. Mine tend to have a creamy smooth mouthfeel and finish slightly sweet. One thing I can tell you is make sure most of the proteins have been removed or it will make a mess in your still. Seems the proteins congeal once your still is up to temperature. The proteins likewise will burn if you have exposed electric heating elements. The permeate I receive is concentrated by removal of water through reverse osmosis, and proteins removed. Without concentrated whey, your results may not provide quantities of spirits you would expect. We fractionate the lactose sugar with enzymes and lower the Ph. Our fermentation typically takes longer than say grain based ferments. Once the lactose is fractionated, we can easily ferment the glucose, however the galactose is another matter. Good luck, and reach out if you encounter issues. Curtis, Copper Crow Distillery.