Unexpected/Unaccounted Lableing issues

lswanson1

So I knew I was going to need UPC numbers for my products, I didnt know they would cost $760. Thats not my dilemma, my dilemma is that apparently I ALSO need NABCA numbers!? At $72 each for each product and each size adds up as well. Then put on top of that a less then ideal application process for acquiring them. Then with respect to COLAs and Formulas, I thought that the online application process would be great but their servers/software have been down/giving me grief for the past week to the point where I cant even log in to the thing. Anyone else ran into problems like this. I just feel like as soon as I get one hurdle down they throw up 2 more in front of me. Ive got my permit, equipment and all things taken care of that front but as far as getting my final labels all done this is taking longer then I expected and more money then I anticipated.

Dont let it get you down. I'm certain that most, if not all of is here, have gone through similar or some sort of "issue" with the TTB. Its part of the industry. To help you through it, just visualize the day that you finally and officially bottle something with your name on it. It may seem like they (the TTB) is working against you, but I assure you its not personal.

Keep the faith and good luck with your products.

Not to be unsympathetic, but if this is the most expensive surprise you get in the next year or so consider yourself lucky. UPC codes are elective if you are only selling through your distillery, or if your retailers require them. Colas are always difficult when the TTB's site is acting buggy, so it's always best to file as early as possible. Hope that everything else goes smoothly and that as your products get out to thirsty and enthusiastic consumers you feel that all the hassle and hard work (and aggravation) were worth it!

You should allow yourself at least 6 months of time for product development, especially if you have to submit a formula. I've had labels take 2 days to get approved, I've had them take 2 months. Add in up to 2 months of formula approval time and that gives you two months to do what you need to. And considering how much label design, printing, and your overall packaging tends to cost, the gs1 membership fee is relatively tame (although I do agree that it is like getting smacked in the face with a Louisville slugger when you take into account that it's a complete racket and EXTREMELY overpriced and something that is easy to forget when doing your initial number crunching).

First off sorry for the double posting. I dont know how that happened. I already have my formula finalized more or less for my products so that isnt a problem. I already have my labels design and submitted for approval so that isnt a problem. I have a quote from a place to print them on material that I like but is almost $0.60 per label so I think that is kind of high so I am going to be looking around to price out other options. I already have my bottles, corks and heat shrink seals so I really do have alot of things already done, its just this NABCA number surprise and the delays in submitting my formulas that is driving me batty. I have gotten a few emails already in response to this post about peoples less then positive responses to NABCA numbers so I am definitely not alone at least.

• 1 year later...

"Not all of the Control States utilize the Control State Coding System. Here is a list of states that currently DO use the Control State Coding System:

Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wyoming

Here are the states that are NOT using the Control State Coding System, but instead are using their own coding structure and, therefore, do not require a CSC number:

Alabama, Michigan, Maryland’s Montgomery County, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, West Virginia"

• 11 months later...