Preventing Copper Thieves

Guest Bobcat Hill

Guest Bobcat Hill

One option we are weighing for our start-up operation is a pole barn. We are in a rural area, on a wine trail. I've heard rumors (at best) that thieves have been cutting through the walls of pole barns. One investor actually suggested building a concrete block building with no windows (no way!). But he has a point. Any ideas on how to make a pole barn more secure?

Our rural area next to a metro area make all of the neighborhood a big target for thieves. Many have installed video systems and recorders. This seems to stop the thieves much better than than alarm systems. The one's that advertise the camera systems are the most protected.

Let's see ... big dogs, electric fence, security system, shotgun, machine gun ... and of course, cement.

Nothing will ever be totally secure. You could build your operation in a bunker and someone could find a way in.

Further, my concern would be more about someone steeling product than copper. The product is far more pilferable.

My advice would be to talk to the local authorities about what type of crime they're actually seeing, and what they recommend to minimize your risk. Then you need to figure out what you can afford to spend on security compared to what you might lose ... and if the crime rate is too high, perhaps you should be looking to do this elsewhere?

My two cents.

S.

Install a very good security system and have signs all over the place. And have the loudest sirens you can get inside and outside. (I used to work in the security industry a long time ago, and you can get sirens that can practically knock people unconscious.)

Has anyone actually heard of someone breaking in to a distillery to steal the copper still?

My new place is in a rural area and on a wine trail. I'm just making sure I have top quality steel doors and a great security system for the distillery. I'm more worried about folks trying to get into the aging area, but I don't think they will be able to since it is going to be in a series of underground bunkers with a security system. All of the security system will be wireless and communicate to a wireless phone modem as well.

One tip I can offer: If you decide to go with an alarm system don't use the free advertising stickers that the company gives you. It simply gives the thieves the type and specs on the hardware you are using. A generic warning that the building is alarmed ( Oh and add "Armed Response" to the bottom) may dissuade the casual thief but not a more skilled one.

We are also looking at a pole barn construction building for our distillery, and while we did not think about copper thieves, we know security is a TTB requirement as well as a real need. I agree with what has been suggested, that security monitoring of some sort is required: surveillance and alarms.

One option we are weighing for our start-up operation is a pole barn. We are in a rural area, on a wine trail. I've heard rumors (at best) that thieves have been cutting through the walls of pole barns. One investor actually suggested building a concrete block building with no windows (no way!). But he has a point. Any ideas on how to make a pole barn more secure?

Elite Gurkha gaurds!

post-220-129711857397_thumb.jpg

And yes - friend of mine has a abandoned 12K gallon a day distillery with mostly copper plumbing ( including most of the tanks) BIG headaches with thieves. They have tried to steal anything including the still (parts of it parts the still itself is 5 stories high and would take some time andd a few wrenches) . If they can saw it into small enough pieces they will try to steal anything.

Check out "Burglar Bombs".

These are a 6oz canister of pepper spray which literally "fumigate" the area in which they are activated. These in conjunction with an incredibly loud alarm Inside the facility and Out, and an auto dialer alarm, I'm hoping will work for my new start-up. I've been told by a friend who has a burglar bomb that the "escapee" did not make it very far before he was caught with his truck wrapped around a tree within a 1/4 mile of the break-in. He simply could not see to drive. These bombs do dissipate in an hour or so, but the other alarm systems should have brought you to the shop by then. I need to add that nothing was lost in this example break-in, other than damage to the door. My two dogs are always there, too.

We have several video cameras, 4 large dogs (including one 95 lb. german shepherd named "Rudolf" who is trained to attack), enough firepower for me to relive my combat days, and the sheriff gave me his cell number. However, I believe one of our best security measures is our very nice sign on the front gate (when it's closed) that reads the following:

WARNING! THIS IS A US GOVERNMENT BONDED FACILITY. PREMISED UNDER 24-HOUR VIDEO SURVEILLANCE. TRESPASSING WITHOUT THE PRESENCE OF A REGISTERED OFFICIAL IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. FEDERAL AUTHORITIES WILL BE NOTIFIED IN THE EVENT OF ANY UNAUTHORIZED TRESPASSING, THEFT, DAMAGE, OR TAMPERING WITH ANY AND ALL PROPERTY.

When that's closed and I'm here, I've seen folks speed off with a dust cloud behind them, and I don't believe there's anything there that's not truthful on that sign. Now I must mention that BEFORE that very nice sign is another one that says "We're sorry we missed you, blah blah blah." So IF they do decide to bypass that one, the other one's there for them to enjoy.

There is not much theft in Montana. Almost every house and business is armed and everyone knows how to shoot. Crime is a dangerous profession.

On the other hand, the moose and bear are a real PITA. Seriously.

Those so called 'burglar bombs' are considered 'active defense' in many states and are illegal. That said, I am very in favor of active defense.

Check out "Burglar Bombs".

These are a 6oz canister of pepper spray which literally "fumigate" the area in which they are activated. These in conjunction with an incredibly loud alarm Inside the facility and Out, and an auto dialer alarm, I'm hoping will work for my new start-up. I've been told by a friend who has a burglar bomb that the "escapee" did not make it very far before he was caught with his truck wrapped around a tree within a 1/4 mile of the break-in. He simply could not see to drive. These bombs do dissipate in an hour or so, but the other alarm systems should have brought you to the shop by then. I need to add that nothing was lost in this example break-in, other than damage to the door. My two dogs are always there, too.

We have several video cameras, 4 large dogs (including one 95 lb. german shepherd named "Rudolf" who is trained to attack), enough firepower for me to relive my combat days, and the sheriff gave me his cell number. However, I believe one of our best security measures is our very nice sign on the front gate (when it's closed) that reads the following:

WARNING! THIS IS A US GOVERNMENT BONDED FACILITY. PREMISED UNDER 24-HOUR VIDEO SURVEILLANCE. TRESPASSING WITHOUT THE PRESENCE OF A REGISTERED OFFICIAL IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. FEDERAL AUTHORITIES WILL BE NOTIFIED IN THE EVENT OF ANY UNAUTHORIZED TRESPASSING, THEFT, DAMAGE, OR TAMPERING WITH ANY AND ALL PROPERTY.

When that's closed and I'm here, I've seen folks speed off with a dust cloud behind them, and I don't believe there's anything there that's not truthful on that sign. Now I must mention that BEFORE that very nice sign is another one that says "We're sorry we missed you, blah blah blah." So IF they do decide to bypass that one, the other one's there for them to enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

When I build out my own facility this is must in my opinion. Plus you get eggs for breakfast.

http://www.suntory.c...e/chp-12-e.html

The geese sound like a great idea, until you think about all the goose crap. Living in an area with an overabundance of Canada geese I know how much of a problem it is.

you have to take the good with the bad.

• 4 weeks later...

Canada geese waddle so slowly, I've been tempted, when I see them, to suggest an impromptu barehanded hunting expedition. "Goose for dinner!" Kind of like catching catfish by hand. Of course, like most stories of this nature, it's all speculative.