When can I ethically and legally say established or founding by?

So I'm working on my business cards to start some marketing. When can I say legally or even ethically say Established by or Founding by on my business marketing?

I mean let's say I've been distilling (legally through work shops and friends distilleries) and have been making and adjusting recipes and planning on opening a distillery since 2001. Can I say that.

Now I don't care if the law doesn't care when you say Established by, as that could just be some marketing tool, but I also want to know from folks here if it's ethical to say so. I don't want to mislead the public, but have thought about opening a distillery and working on that sort of stuff since 2001.

Thanks.

P.S. My still is Officially finished just waiting on some gaskets so I can do a pressure test. Will post pics when it's all shiny.

Ethically and legally, the company identity would be established or founded on the date you incorporate or establish the legal entity of the company ...

How've you been, by the way. It's been a long time. Nice to see you're moving forward.

Stephen (the same Stephen that makes REDUX Absinthe).

Respectfully, I've never seen a brewery, winery, or distillery that doesn't mark their date by the day they throw the doors open. Unless we're talking about the megabrewer/distillers/whatever, and their marketing department gets a hold of the "facts".

It's also going to look a little strange (and likely annoying) to the spirits buyers at A accounts in your home market where you're telling them that you've been in business and distilling for ten years, but they've never heard of you.

Ethically and legally, the company identity would be established or founded on the date you incorporate or establish the legal entity of the company ...

I agree.

Agreed, that's why I asked. Thanks.

Tirador, it's going good. I'll be posting some pics of the still on here soon.

But what you might say, if you feel it is true, is something like "Established in 2011 with ten years experience in distilling" or something like that... No?

It's a mixed question but it's nice that you're thinking about the ethical part. Many people don't. Ethically, I think the obligation is to tell the truth and tell it in a way that is not misleading. Obviously, that second part can be tricky. I recommend thinking about what a reasonable person is likely to assume upon seeing or hearing the statement you want to make. Generally, when people see "Established 1971," they will understand that to mean that the business began to conduct its business in 1971.

I again agree, but months ago I was starting to think about other businesses and a lot say "Founded in blah blah blah" and that got me thinking. Because most of those businesses have not continuously been operating since the year they listed. I don't want to deceive the public and won't be putting a date on at all, but it just brought up some interesting thoughts to the issue.

I mean let's say I've been distilling (legally through work shops and friends distilleries) and have been making and adjusting recipes and planning on opening a distillery since 2001. Can I say that.

Regarding your personal background, if you've been actively distilling under a legal distillery guidance, I don't see why you can't quote something about that.

"xx years of experience"

No different than a truck driver. Just because he doesn't own the truck doesn't mean he can't say how many years he's been professionally driving.

For the business, I've seen things through the years for businesses such as "...concieved 10 years ago, born in 2011..."

It's all just advertising fluff anyway. But if that's what it takes to push forward, more power to you ;)

Proof is in the product.

So I'm working on my business cards to start some marketing. When can I say legally or even ethically say Established by or Founding by on my business marketing?

Now I don't care if the law doesn't care when you say Established by, as that could just be some marketing tool, but I also want to know from folks here if it's ethical to say so. I don't want to mislead the public, but have thought about opening a distillery and working on that sort of stuff since 2001.

Thanks.

P.S. My still is Officially finished just waiting on some gaskets so I can do a pressure test. Will post pics when it's all shiny.

Just do what large corps do and buy another business that was founded 100 years ago and then you can say founded whenever the other company was founded ;)

If your product is good, clearly good and equal or superior to what comes from the majors or other craft distillers, it will be recognized and it won't matter when you were "founded".

And if it's not as good, or the same as everything else, being "founded" oh so many years ago, may indicate that your skills aren't quite a wonderful as you imagine them to be.

Promote your products. Don't bother promoting your ego.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen people use the date from when a distillery use to run, and other little games like this. Why? Tell the truth the first time, and you will never have to deal with it again. Your first day is the date you started your LLC or whatever.