Ethanol fuel forklift

bluestar

Has anyone ever found a source for an ethanol-fueled forklift? Could one legally use the heads to operate such a device inside the distillery (within the bond area) without having to account for the heads? In other words, treat as disposal by incineration?

its an interesting thought.

forklifts are generally fueled by propane or electricity, so I'd imagine a propane powered one would be the place to start.

You'd need to swap it over to carburetter, and jet it appropriately for ethanol.

not impossible, and certainly not overly difficult for someone with medium level mechanical ability.

its clean burning, but you'd still want to make sure you're well ventilated.

also I've heard that straight ethanol is too "dry" for a regular gasoline engine, you would need some additives to keep things slippery in the combustion chamber, so cylinder walls and valves don't see undue wear.

I was advised by TTB that anything that isn't going into bond can be disposed, by burning or any other means, as long as you accounted for it and documented it. They did advise that for larger quantities they might want to send someone to witness the destruction. I'd lean towards saying you can probably do this, but check with your TTB agent to be sure.

its an interesting thought.

forklifts are generally fueled by propane or electricity, so I'd imagine a propane powered one would be the place to start.

You'd need to swap it over to carburetter, and jet it appropriately for ethanol.

not impossible, and certainly not overly difficult for someone with medium level mechanical ability.

its clean burning, but you'd still want to make sure you're well ventilated.

also I've heard that straight ethanol is too "dry" for a regular gasoline engine, you would need some additives to keep things slippery in the combustion chamber, so cylinder walls and valves don't see undue wear.

What? Of course their are gasoline (and diesel) forklifts. Ethanol works great in a gas engine. I have a mostly enclosed space so I use propane; electric is too expensive.

What? Of course their are gasoline (and diesel) forklifts. Ethanol works great in a gas engine. I have a mostly enclosed space so I use propane; electric is too expensive.

Ethanol can destroy a gas engine that is not specifically modified for it, and even then, most require E85, not pure ethanol. But I would even go with mixing my own E85 if there is a manufacturer that sells such a forklift. I have not yet found one. There are some companies that sell kits for conversion of some engine types, but I would much rather purchase warranted from the manufacturer.

Ethanol can destroy a gas engine that is not specifically modified for it, and even then, most require E85, not pure ethanol. But I would even go with mixing my own E85 if there is a manufacturer that sells such a forklift. I have not yet found one. There are some companies that sell kits for conversion of some engine types, but I would much rather purchase warranted from the manufacturer.

My bad, I was assuming you were going to add the heads to the tank in addition to gasoline, not run straight ethanol. I've done the same with cars, just dump it in, as have others I know, with no ill effects. I've never heard of a flex fuel forklift yet.