ADI Forums
whiskeytango

Rhum Agricole

18 minutes ago, nabtastic said:

Or are you starting from syrup?

Syrup.  Not all of us live in Hawaii where cane grows on every corner.  lol  

Dsking416    0

If you are doing a evaporated cane wash just dilute in 120ish degree water to 1.09 SG adjust the ph and add yeast at the appropriate pitch temp and volume. It should fly, You may need to adjust temp as well though as rum likes it hotter than whiskey.

1 hour ago, Dsking416 said:

If you are doing a evaporated cane wash just dilute in 120ish degree water to 1.09 SG adjust the ph and add yeast at the appropriate pitch temp and volume. It should fly, You may need to adjust temp as well though as rum likes it hotter than whiskey.

yeah thats what people keep telling me but its taking weeks to ferment out. 

nabtastic    13
3 hours ago, whiskeytango said:

Syrup.  Not all of us live in Hawaii where cane grows on every corner.  lol  

Haha touche.  There's actually not a lot of it since HC&S closed down.  I think we're now one of the biggest sugarcane farms in Hawaii at 20~ acres!

Syrup and molasses (IMHO) should be treated more-or-less the same in this regards.  Both have been extensively heat treated and stored in exceptionally high osmotic conditions.  Few organisms *should* pose much of a threat as long as your ferm requirements are met.  It may or may not be handy to test for FAN content (probably less of an issue for y'all since the syrup will contain more consistent field and harvest conditions)

nabtastic    13

what's your pH throughout your ferm?

nabtastic    13

To recap,

you start a ferment at 14 brix from sugarcane syrup (steens? I buy their canned stuff for home lol)

pitch yeast at 80F after rehydrating in ______ water, add ____ amount of Fermaid (O or K) to the wash after the yeast has blended in

7 days later... 0.998 SG at 3.6-3.8pH?

On 5/23/2017 at 8:57 PM, nabtastic said:

To recap,

you start a ferment at 14 brix from sugarcane syrup (steens? I buy their canned stuff for home lol)

pitch yeast at 80F after rehydrating in ______ water, add ____ amount of Fermaid (O or K) to the wash after the yeast has blended in

7 days later... 0.998 SG at 3.6-3.8pH?

Ok we started at 160 gallons of wash at 17 brix.  I added 240 grams each of ec 1118 and fermaid O   Its been fermenting at and average of 70 degrees Ph was 6.6 at the start.  Now 14 days later we are down to 3.5 brix and ph is staying constant at 3.6.   

nabtastic    13

What's your SG at 14 days?  

Try buffering your pH w calcium carbonate.  H+ exchange is required to pull the sugars into the yeast cell, low pH will hinder that exchange in addition to stressing the yeast.  

In an untreated ferment we will have completely (or nearly) ferment after 3-5 days (at ~83F) depending on strain and pitch rate. The steady pH means you probably dont have an infection to worry about rn so thats good. 

How are you rehydrating the EC?  What temp, water source and treatment, water source n treatment for the juice?

3d0g    35

17 - 3.5 brix is 79% apparent attenuation. ec 1118 is specd at 75% average, so yay?

nabtastic    13

touche i missed that whiskeytango included brix.  should still be able to shave a few days off though... like half of them.