Barrel dump tank?

Lenny

I need (want) one! Not even sure what the proper name might be for a stainless steel trough that barrels can be lifted/rolled onto so that the whiskey that pours out can run trough some perforated stainless to remove large pieces of char and allow for the full contents of liquid to be pumped over to another tank for gauging. Pictured below is a rather nice example at Peerless.

Anyone have a manufacturer of such a tank that they'd recommend?

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 1.13.03 PM.png

Hey Lenny,

I've been looking for one also, there is a Still company, i think its Specialized or  Specific  or something like that they brought one to an ADI conference a couple years ago,  but way out of my price range !!!, found a couple of used pump over tanks that are used in the wine industry on Brew Bids but they both sold before  i could pull the trigger, I still looking, but if anyone could build one it would be Paul !  

We bought a barrel washing rack about a year ago (like this one https://shop.carolinawinesupply.com/product.sc?productId=790), and put it up on legs so we could fit a screened, pump-over tank that we had underneath it. After a year of messing around with that we had our local fab-shop build a drop in tray that sits on the inside, works pretty well. The biggest thing I think is whether or not you are using racks or not for your barrels, as that will impact your design. 

5 hours ago, Lorenzo said:

Hey Lenny,

I've been looking for one also, there is a Still company, i think its Specialized or  Specific  or something like that they brought one to an ADI conference a couple years ago,  but way out of my price range !!!, found a couple of used pump over tanks that are used in the wine industry on Brew Bids but they both sold before  i could pull the trigger, I still looking, but if anyone could build one it would be Paul !  

I believe Golden Moon Distillery has one from Specific Mechanical out of Canada. I emailed them but haven't heard back.

I've been considering using a wine oriented pump over cart from TCW - they have a nice option start at just over 1k and we might go for that option, but I was hoping to evaluate other options that might be more tailored towards use with full barrels rolling across the top surface.

Seem like someone should/could have a viable design that could be replicated for a number of customers in need...

• 2 months later...

We saw the specific mechanical design at ADI one year and came home and welded our own up. The exact one in the picture above was made by MAC mfg and is much larger and more substantial than the one specific made. Mac mfg specialize in barrel handling equipment. We have a matching dumper and auto filler coming from them in October. Is not cheap but filling a barrel in 2 minutes vs 7 minutes is going to really change my overhead around here. Same thing with 1 man dumping 7 barrels at a time vs 2 men dumping 2, also frees up our forklift so its not tied to barrel dumping.

Cheers.

Slick Floss