ADI Forums

Thinking about making a wheated Straight Rye. Been doing some research and haven’t found much info. Having great success with my wheated Bourbon, is anyone doing a high wheat Rye?

We've done it, it's good. Gives a bit more mouthfeel and sweetness to it. I prefer our 100% Rye, but I liked the wheated rye over the corned Rye and barley malt Rye we've done. 

• Thanks 1

We also do a wheated rye,  but at only 13% wheat,  it's not exactly a high wheat rye.  We love the slight softness that wheat adds to our bourbon and rye. 

• Thanks 1

I believe Journeyman's rye is a high wheat rye. Or at least it was.

• Thanks 1

Really interesting, would like to try this out.  We do a 100% unmalted rye and we're finding a relatively light flavor profile (lower spice, dried fruit, honey) compared to malted.

• Thanks 1

Our flag-ship product is our straight rye and we use a high percentage of wheat.  We just bottled batch #4 yesterday that was in barrels for 29 months.  Obviously I am very biased, but I could not be much happier with the end product.  Lots of spicy rye bite, but still nice and smooth.  Batch #5 will probably be just under 3 years, and I am already looking forward to that being ready!  Our first barrel of bonded whiskey will hit the 4 year mark in September and we may bottle that for the holidays, or decide to wait another year and let it hit 5!  Cant believe how fast time goes by. 

• reaction_title_1 3
  • Thanks 1

Right? Can’t believe my Bourbon is over 3 years now. We’ll be hitting 4 years within the year. Rye is next but nervous about the mash bill. I’m gonna go for the higher wheat!

cheers!!!