Sourced Spirits

I've just started researching opening a craft distillery and had a question about sourced spirits. I know many startups source their spirits from places like MGP in order to have inventory to put on the shelves. I also know they can sell it under their own label as long as they put the production origin state on the bottle.  I wanted to see if anybody with the DSP license can purchase different spirits of the same proof, blend them and sell them under their own label? For instance can you buy two different 80 proof whiskeys you like, find the right mix that you like between those spirits and bottle the final product under your own label? I'm asking on the federal level as I know state laws will vary. 

Yes. High West is a good example of this practice. They have been buying straight bourbon and rye from Indiana and Kentucky distilleries then they blend and proof them to their target profiles.

If you use the same type of spirit from two states i.e. an Indiana Straight Bourbon and a Tennessee Straight Bourbon then you can blend them together and the label will read either A Blended of Straight Bourbon Whiskey or Blended Straight Bourbon Whiskey. If you were to mix the bourbon and the rye I think it would just be labeled as Blended Straight Whiskey or A Blend of Straight Whiskeys.

When you are blending whiskies from two different states you do not need to put a state of distillation like you would if your were sourcing whiskey from one state and then proofing and bottling in another. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2020 at 8:24 AM, wmcelwee said:

How about purchasing 190/195 proof food grade ethanol and filtering it down to a sellable product? My understanding is that this is done quite regularly, I just can't find enough info on it.

hmmm first I'm hearing of this.  But it sounds like an absolute winner of an idea.  Your only hope is that no one starts doing it before you.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2020 at 1:24 PM, wmcelwee said:

How about purchasing 190/195 proof food grade ethanol and filtering it down to a sellable product? My understanding is that this is done quite regularly, I just can't find enough info on it.

The source of the neutral spirits is the most important. Making sure you are not end up with industrial product from the broker. 

On 11/14/2020 at 1:22 PM, daveflintstone said:

hmmm first I'm hearing of this.  But it sounds like an absolute winner of an idea.  Your only hope is that no one starts doing it before you.

What the gentleman from Hawaii said is sage and golden advice.