Lab equipment check list

lowerylisa1

Does anyone have an all inclusive list of lab equipment needed for a medium sized distillery? If money were no object, what would I purchase? I’m not sure I even know the right questions to ask, but I’m about to be tasked with equipping one. 

JustAndy brought up a good point, it all depends on the needs of the distillery but here is a list EVERY distillery should have.

1. A set of TTB certified alcohol hydrometers that cover all your bases

2. Set of glass graduated cylinders (50ml, 100 ml, 250 ml, 500 ml, 1000 ml)

3. A handful of HDPE beakers

4. A TTB certified digital thermometer

5. A nice pH meter

6. A brewer's hydrometer for measuring OG/FG

7. A benchtop scale that measures to at least 0.1 grams

As you get bigger or have specific products you can add to this list. I'd start here:

1. Portable Density meter (this will save you so much time)

2. Lab distillation apparatus (this is for any products that may have proof obscuration such as liqueurs)

3. Water testing equipment 

4. Microbial testing equipment (media, plates, incubation chambers, microscope, etc)

• Thumbs up 1

JustAndy and Sickfloss have made great points that, depending on the specific needs of the distillery, more or less might be needed.  That's why consultants exist. They can typically save thousands of dollars by making sure you get what you need without spending precious funds on something you might never use. 

My experience is that many people who think they have a "Medium Size" distillery, typically have what would be considered a small one.

Closed off lab area with a sink, ample counter/work space and cabinets to hold everything above, comfortable/ergonomic work chair or taller drafting stools, ample storage for samples and sample bottles.  Safety glasses wouldn't hurt.  Fume hood.  Laptop.  Lots of outlets (like every foot or two along the countertops), good lighting.  Air conditioning.  Fire extinguishers.  Cute set of cleaning brushes for all the glassware, drying rack too.  Decent radio (Sonos with Pandora or something good like that).

What?  Am I dreaming again?

• 3 weeks later...

What's the budget? For necessities,

- hand-held density meter

- all ranges of alcohol hydrometers

- pH meter (needs calibrating on a regular basis)

- multiple sized beakers and graduated cylinders for blending/testing/trial proofing

- scales for measuring in grams/kilograms

- thermometer for random testing of temps (you should have thermometers on all of your tanks and lines)

- water testing equip or a lab nearby to test for you

- TTB desktop density meter (add-on for obscuration) - bigger ticket item ~ $30000

- smaller scale glass distillation apparatus

- smaller scale copper distillation apparatus (1-2 liter)

- microscope (along with plates/medium, etc if necessary)

- Methylene Blue

- Is RO in your processing plan for water?

- DISCUS manual and Fire Code Manual

- Tables, Shelving, Fire Extinguishers, Eye Wash Station

If you are really going big then GCMS or HPLC - But you will need to hire someone to operate them or train yourself. - Super Big Ticket Item

You can always call me - we met at ACSA!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/13/2021 at 1:49 PM, JailBreak said:

1.A set of TTB certified alcohol hydrometers that cover all your bases

4. A TTB certified digital thermometer

Hello,

We are a new Vodka distillery. We only need one hydrometer that is in the range of 75-95 proof right? 

Also for the thermometer, It can be digital and does not have to be glass?

Thank you,

Brungardt

19 hours ago, Brungardt said:

Hello,

We are a new Vodka distillery. We only need one hydrometer that is in the range of 75-95 proof right? 

Also for the thermometer, It can be digital and does not have to be glass?

Thank you,

Brungardt

You will also need a hydrometer for the alcohol over 190 proof, whether you're making it or sourcing it. This is usually a 185-206 proof hydrometer. 

Other hydrometers are useful in case big mistakes happen.

As for the thermometer, you can use either digital or glass as long as it reads accurately to the 0.1 degree.

On 5/12/2022 at 9:36 AM, JailBreak said:

You will also need a hydrometer for the alcohol over 190 proof, whether you're making it or sourcing it. This is usually a 185-206 proof hydrometer. 

Other hydrometers are useful in case big mistakes happen.

As for the thermometer, you can use either digital or glass as long as it reads accurately to the 0.1 degree.

Thank you @JailBreak 

How come you need the 185-206 proof hydrometer? Is it because you have to gauge it before you dilute? Or If you receive it when you source it?

What thermometer do you use?

Sorry if the questions are obvious. I'm a newbie.

I appreciate your help!

Brungardt

50 minutes ago, Charles Brungardt said:

Thank you @JailBreak 

How come you need the 185-206 proof hydrometer? Is it because you have to gauge it before you dilute? Or If you receive it when you source it?

What thermometer do you use?

Sorry if the questions are obvious. I'm a newbie.

I appreciate your help!

Brungardt

No problem, that's what these forums are for. A good consultant is always nice to have in your back pocket and there's quite a few on here. You need the 185-206 hydrometer to gauge the spirit at distillation if you're making it or when you receive them in bond. 

We have a couple digital thermometers but my favorite is the Thermapen ONE.