Finally built my agitator.

Absinthe Pete

Here is the agitator I finally built. Came out awesome. Total cost less than $100. Although that's only possible because I have a full machine shop.

4 HP Air Motor

Stainless Everything

Explosion Proof

Click on the links for the pics.

http://www.raffdisti...gitatorsm01.jpg

http://www.raffdisti...gitatorsm02.jpg

You can also check out my website, just added some new pics and such. Also Like us on Facebook.

P.S. The washer on the bottom are not staying on, just didn't have any Stainless ones on hand. Oh and it's tri-clover (sanitary fitting) which goes on a tri-clover ferrule on the still so it can be removed easily.

Hi Carter, I remember you asking in an earlier post for suggestions for seals.

What did you come up with?

From the photo I am taking a guess that you used close fitting nylon for combined seal/bearing?

Yes, it tri clamps to a 4" tri clover ferrule on the still. The motors a little loud, but not bad.

PeteB, no it uses a real pump seal from Mcmaster Carr. It's a whole assembly you buy, comes with the seal and a spring for the correct tension. Remember this is not something that can be built without a full machine shop. Every single part had to be machined from a block of stainless steel.

Bluestar, I'm not sure what it would cost as some of the parts I was able to find on ebay for cheap, but just the machining would be about $800. I could make the tri clover to the still any size also.

So the seal is in that short length of stainless tube between the triclamp and the motor and the shaft is post-seal? Can you post which McMC seal you used?

Would also like to see a shot of the business end, did you make a part there or was that one of the ebay scores?

The dimension are the same as professional agitators. The tube is about 6" long and contains quite a few parts, lots of bearings, pump seal and motor to shaft coupling.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pump-seals/=e4ax3o

The business end is just a standard Stainless Steel Agitator prop. You can find them all over the place, i didn't make it though.

No it's not geared down. It runs on air so basically you just turn open the valve up until it spins at the rpm you want. The motor says 300-3000 RPM, but since it's air just add enough air to get it turn the mass of your wash at 100 rpm.

Sorry no pics of the mechanism.

• 4 months later...

No it's not geared down. It runs on air so basically you just turn open the valve up until it spins at the rpm you want. The motor says 300-3000 RPM, but since it's air just add enough air to get it turn the mass of your wash at 100 rpm.

So how has it been holding up for you, now that you've had about 5 months to work with it? I am looking for something that can mount on a 3" TC flange with about a 24" shaft. Are you interested in building one for me? PM with particulars, if you are.