Outdoor air/glycol chiller pictures

This small glycooler is being supplied to a distiller for most all of its cooling needs for the winter. It interfaces with a water/glycol exchanger indoors with a water reservoir and process pump. There is also an outdoor chiller attached to the glycol loop for (the short) summer use up in New England.

This is a nominal 5 ton cooler, piped in parallel with a 10 ton chiller up in VT. Based on the cold weather there, the 5 ton cooler will supply enough cold glycol to charge up a cold water reservoir via an intermediate BHX. A separate system pump handles the chilled water supply to a Trident mash exchanger and fermenter/condenser. Cooler is under $2,500, and the water/power savings should pay that back fairly quickly. A few distilleries are looking to grab one of these to get them started now (the Govt shutdown has slowed up their start-up!) until warm weather hits and then we can add on supplemental cooling.

Hi Mike, my distillery is outside your territory but I am interested to know if you use the heat from the hot side of your chillers. I see so many places where the heat could be used, not just in distilleries.

Hi Mike, my distillery is outside your territory but I am interested to know if you use the heat from the hot side of your chillers. I see so many places where the heat could be used, not just in distilleries.

Pete, the schematic would work out in the indoor water loop where you could put a fan coil in series with the outlet of the mash exchanger where the water is warmest. You could reclaim the heat in another way to preheat water for whatever use. Since the crash cool is the only place you have high quality heat, unfortunately it is of short duration.

Also Pete, I am developing a direct air cooled mash cooler that air will be able to be reclaimed indoors if desired.