How much did your boiler cost?

chinookpilot77

I'm looking into a 500-700k btu low pressure boiler, new or used, installed in the building I'm am in the process of purchasing.

I worked in various trades for roughly ten years before switching careers, and looking at the building, the infrastructure in the building, which is located in an industrial park.

I have called several boiler installers here in Dallas, TX and I'm getting quoted anywhere between 25-35k for the boiler and the installation, which, I cannot imagine could take more than two days, based on the location of the gas and water lines in relation to where my still will be. These contractors have not had the chance to look at my location, as I haven't yet closed on the building...but I cannot seem to wrap my head around these costs, when the boiler itself is well under 10k.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Well that's an interesting story. We have a 600 liter still so were looking for something around 150,000 on the output side. We found an "old new stock" boiler at our local plumbing supply house. It was a 275,000 BTU/hr Slantifin, circa 1984 -- had never been fired up. We picked it up, along with a condensate pump for under $2,000. All in we were under $20,000 for boiler and install.

Well that's an interesting story. We have a 600 liter still so were looking for something around 150,000 on the output side. We found an "old new stock" boiler at our local plumbing supply house. It was a 275,000 BTU/hr Slantifin, circa 1984 -- had never been fired up. We picked it up, along with a condensate pump for under $2,000. All in we were under $20,000 for boiler and install.

So you paid like 16 to 18k for the install?

Yeah, boiler install is a frigging joke on costs. Rent a high end pipe threader/cutter, get some good intel on what needs to be done, and do it yourself. Even if the fitter will help by "consulting" for a few grand, it may be worth it (depending on the fitter, that is).

We paid for our first boiler and steam pipe install, and it was still jacked up. After watching and studying, we've done the subsequent installs ourselves.

>> Rent a high end pipe threader/cutter, get some good intel on what needs to be done, and do it yourself.

True, true.. But often (at least in more urban settings) you'll need the stamp of a certified pipefitter (and electrician and plumber, etc, etc) before you can get your CO.

Most inspectors will need "proof" of a competent installer who is verse in local codes which can really put you in a bind if ignored.

If a new building construction- much, much more- including a PE's drawings, so there are many variables which dictate construction.

Good luck, but try to get a referral from another distillery or brewery in the area, that may help.

• 2 months later...