Cold Water Bath

Before anyone asks, yes, I am searched the forum.  I am just looking to see if anyone uses a cold water bath for proofing with obscuration, or solids in their distillate.  Anyone have any recommendations about where you can get one at a reasonable price?  I've already got a small bench still to run this stuff on, but for accuracy, I would rather just have the temps always constant.  Any advice will be appreciated.    

Affordable is relative.  We went with the one our Anton Paar rep suggested - it was around $3-4k (purchased a few years ago).  Any water bath that can fit your flask will work. You won't need anything fancy as long as the liquid in the bath covers the liquid in your flask and the temperature is accurate.  Our brand is PolyScience but it's definitely overkill for our purposes.  

• 1 year later...
On 5/14/2018 at 3:29 AM, Jeffa42 said:

Before anyone asks, yes, I am searched the forum.  I am just looking to see if anyone uses a cold water bath for proofing with obscuration, or solids in their distillate.  Anyone have any recommendations about where you can get one at a reasonable price?  I've already got a small bench still to run this stuff on, but for accuracy, I would rather just have the temps always constant.  Any advice will be appreciated.    

I'm looking for this now!  Did you find something you'd recommend? Thanks! ~cathy

• 1 month later...

I’ve been using a beaker of ice water to chill the measuring flask and pycnometer.  It sounds cheesy but if you go too low in temp just warm it in you hand  and swirl it around to mix until temp stabilizes. Then measure real quick before condensation occurs  

At small volumes it doesn’t take much time. 

Id love to find a source of a cheap chiller tho. I could also use it for cooling water on the lab still and for vacuum distillations.  I had thought about using one of those electronic chiller coils and just pumping coolant (alcohol/water) or water thru it to make my own setup.  A power supply and 570 watt chiller runs around $300usd delivered from AliExpress.  Then just use a Coleman cooler for a reservoir and a small pump and temperature controller for the chiller and you are golden.