As the title says, I'm a complete rum nut and on a very serious mission.  To make the finest single barrel rum available. 

I live in Middlesex Co. Va. in a small but highly frequented tourist town. 

I've been fascinated with distilling for some time now and have done enough research on rums and visited a few Jamaican distilleries in the last 3 years.

I want to produce rum in the old fashioned way of the Caribbean, double retort potstill, traditional and high ester rums.

I have a 2400 Sq ft building that meets most of what is necessary for local regulations and code. There will be minimal construction needed to meet requirements and I'm looking forward to moving forward. 

In addition to rum, I'll be sourcing local grains for bourbon, single malts and fruits for brandies.

I have a meeting this Friday with the fire Marshall and county sherif to go over the building and propose my waste disposal program. I've also been in contact with local farmers about these matters and have for what I'm doing, things covered!

For some of the grains and dunder I'll be on my own property be making compost along with other organics and sell what I can and use the rest on my own property.

I've recently planted 3 varieties of plum (8 each) to make small batch brandy  (Slivovitz) as a specialty item along with apple brandy from a locally sourced orchard. 

I have been working along with the Co. On a business plan to accommodate the scale of which I'll be producing. 

I'm not looking to be the next big thing and have no plans to quit my day job for the foreseeable future, what I plan to do is make the best possible products available! 

On to the next phase for now, thought I'd introduce myself and let folks know some of the interest I have in mind.

Thanks for reading, James

5 hours ago, Julius said:

Talk to hog farmers about feeding your grain stillage to them. CSU has done research on feeding stillage if your farmers need some academic persuasion. 

And 2400sq ft. Is tiny!

2400sq feet is a decent start.  We started in 1800 square feet with restrooms in a common area.  The less expensive overhead of 2400 square feet dedicated nearly entirely to production allowed us to feel comfortable expanding into the 6,000 square feet we have today.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 9:37 PM, JBillyB said:

As the title says, I'm a complete rum nut and on a very serious mission.  To make the finest single barrel rum available. 

I live in Middlesex Co. Va. in a small but highly frequented tourist town. 

I've been fascinated with distilling for some time now and have done enough research on rums and visited a few Jamaican distilleries in the last 3 years.

I want to produce rum in the old fashioned way of the Caribbean, double retort potstill, traditional and high ester rums.

I have a 2400 Sq ft building that meets most of what is necessary for local regulations and code. There will be minimal construction needed to meet requirements and I'm looking forward to moving forward. 

In addition to rum, I'll be sourcing local grains for bourbon, single malts and fruits for brandies.

I have a meeting this Friday with the fire Marshall and county sherif to go over the building and propose my waste disposal program. I've also been in contact with local farmers about these matters and have for what I'm doing, things covered!

For some of the grains and dunder I'll be on my own property be making compost along with other organics and sell what I can and use the rest on my own property.

I've recently planted 3 varieties of plum (8 each) to make small batch brandy  (Slivovitz) as a specialty item along with apple brandy from a locally sourced orchard. 

I have been working along with the Co. On a business plan to accommodate the scale of which I'll be producing. 

I'm not looking to be the next big thing and have no plans to quit my day job for the foreseeable future, what I plan to do is make the best possible products available! 

On to the next phase for now, thought I'd introduce myself and let folks know some of the interest I have in mind.

Thanks for reading, James

Man, I'd like to try that Slivovitz!!!

I think my Granddad used to make something like it on the farm- all I know is, after he died my dad found a bottle of something fermented in the basement. Whatever it was, brought tears to my Dad's eyes, an he was a WWII vet! Yikes!

• 3 years later...