Agitator build question, Help.

Absinthe Pete

I'm building the still right now and it's 220 gallon capacity, so probably no more than 150 actual gallons and I'm trying to decide on if I should add and agitator.

I know it needs an explosion proof motor. What I need to know is what they use on the still to support the mixer shaft but not let any vapor out, but allow it to turn. Is it a special bearing or what? Thanks.

I'm building the still right now and it's 220 gallon capacity, so probably no more than 150 actual gallons and I'm trying to decide on if I should add and agitator.

I know it needs an explosion proof motor. What I need to know is what they use on the still to support the mixer shaft but not let any vapor out, but allow it to turn. Is it a special bearing or what? Thanks.

Pete,

To create your own would be a little difficult. To buy one outright will be a little pricey. One company Ive looked into is PEC. Nice stuff, but be seated when you ask the price. You could always reverse engineer someones standard design. Careful of patten infringements there. One for you may not set off any alarms. good luck,

Jes

Try Ebay- "agitator"

If you want to go the DIY route you can find shaft seals here http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-seals/=95a5eh look around online at some common designs, many use a small propeller- could also just be a wavy disk or paddle- anything that will mix things up. Lots of commercial agitators are air powered to avoid explosion hazards- alternately I bet a cheap air wrench from Harbor freight would do the trick. You could also probably find a washdown duty pump on ebay, remove the pump part, leave the seal, and just use some sort of coupling off mcmaster to connect to your paddle.

Keep in mind also- the agitator will improve heat transfer so you get up to temp faster.

• 7 months later...

No, I never did, but started to revisit the idea about a week ago. The buy and install yourself ones are in the $2500 range and up. I don't want to spend that if it's something I can build myself, which it shouldn't be too hard if I can find out how the pros make theirs. The only thing I really need to know is what are they using around the shaft as it enters the still. I need to be able to spin, be sanitary and keep any vapor from escaping from the outside.

I think most use them at 60-300 RPM.

Here is the site that I know of that makes them http://www.indco.com/

I checked that McMaster link mentioned above; if you click "ring seals" then "spring-loaded ptfe shaft seals" they show a 1/2" size as being $14 or so for the regular version, and around $26 for a graphite-lubricated one. My initial thought is that the shaft seal could be welded to a piece of stainless or copper, or perhaps attached by a clamping gasket; then that sub-assembly could be mounted on the still.

I checked on ebay for some air motors, and found them from $75 on up to several hundred, mainly depending on hp. Here is a 1.5 hp model: http://cgi.ebay.com/Gast-4AM-NRV-50C-1-5-Hp-Gast-Air-Motor-NIB-/190437056288?pt=Pneumatic_Hydraulic_Valves_Parts&hash=item2c56eedf20

Note that the RPM goes from 300-3000. This speed could be reduced with a reducing gear or pulley; and the overall speed could be regulated with air pressure.

Add in the shaft, agitator propeller, and whatever else you need, and one might be able to build the whole agitator for around $1,000 or less.

It seems the "pro" versions use explosion-proof electric motors, which is probably a key reason for the more elevated price level.

I have been thinking about building myself an agitator and seal. I have considered a shaft seal out of a dishwasher. They are designed to run at fairly high temperature. I assume they are ceramic seals and probably don't need lubricating especially at low RPM. I would get an old dishwasher and cut it up to see how the seals are mounted then fabricate similar mounts and buy a new seal. The seals are probably quite cheap.

If you find a suitably priced motor and the RPM is too high, use a smaller prop.

Let me know how that works. Check out http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/ or some of the other appliance part websites and look up a new model of dishwasher and see what part they use. Or if they have craigslist where you are or Freecycle I'm sure you can find a used dishwasher cheap if not free. Good idea.

I have been thinking about building myself an agitator and seal. I have considered a shaft seal out of a dishwasher. They are designed to run at fairly high temperature. I assume they are ceramic seals and probably don't need lubricating especially at low RPM. I would get an old dishwasher and cut it up to see how the seals are mounted then fabricate similar mounts and buy a new seal. The seals are probably quite cheap.

If you find a suitably priced motor and the RPM is too high, use a smaller prop.

I built my own for our mash kettle, still had one already. 100 RPM is what it is rated at. Purchased one from Grainger with gear reduction and all for about $150.00 3/4hp. Made my own shaft with blades about $45.00. Need to specify one that sits vertical so that the bearing take the load right. Coop