SPP stainless spiral prismatic packing

Gotcha,

I have personally used raschig rings and copper mesh with good success. They are also readily available if you are unable to source the SPP. Hopefully you can find a good source for what you are looking for. If so please let us know where you were able to get some from.

18 hours ago, daveflintstone said:

Anyone have a source for stainless SPP?  I've got an info request in to Manu at stainlessstuff.net already.  Looking for all sources.

Diameter of column ??

helical coils.jpg

We did many tests back in 2019/2020 with Cannon and their ProPak column packing https://cannoninstrument.com/distillation-packing.html

Cut up springs, rasching rings, and scrubbers are NOT the same, in any league as SPP packing, and SPP is not in the same league as ProPak.

I don't have the data in front of me, but *true* ProPak provided a much higher distillation quality than any other packing material (or combination).  We did many tests on proof and flow rate, and nothing really compared.

The only problem with ProPak was that it is EXTREMELY expensive. (about $350-400 per liter if i recall)

Don't confuse cheap little springs with spiraled prismatic packing.  Just the name "prism" should mean triangle, which is not what is pictured above.

On 7/26/2022 at 5:32 PM, richard1 said:

Would not touch SPP as they are of flimsy construction and will flatten / collapse with weight / height of column packing.  0.3mm wire diameter.

I just did the math. Even with a 3 meter column, it would only be 0.3kg per square centimeter. :)

sppkgm2.JPG

If you are concerned about the strength of the spirals, you can find larger ones here: https://www.ebay.de/itm/265668547456

But they only have approx. 5000 cm² evaporation surface per liter.
The little ones have four times as much.

sppBig.jpg

I put the big ones at the bottom of the cube to reduce explosive boil up.

The picture above is a step in the right direction.  There's a lot of info on other forum's where SPP was being used and would always collapse.  None the less, the Helical coil that we manufacture is a lot tighter for the two sizes that we have manufactured.

IMAG0275a.jpg.d0817310445f69e68539c4b6166e001f.jpgpacking.thumb.jpg.1d02d38da919338fe0aeb93bb42e6edf.jpg

20 hours ago, richard1 said:

The picture above is a step in the right direction.  There's a lot of info on other forum's where SPP was being used and would always collapse.  None the less, the Helical coil that we manufacture is a lot tighter for the two sizes that we have manufactured.

Hopefully that's just an incorrect opinion.

The SPP's with a diameter of 10mm are suitable for large columns with high throughput.
For example for crude oil rectification. For larger columns, the ratio of the diameter of the SPP to the shell is 1:30.
This means that the 10mm SPP's would be best suited for the 0.3 meter diameter columns.

The SPPs shown by you are completely round, which firstly leads to undesirable laminar flows and secondly cannot ensure that the droplets are retained.
If you give me the weight per one litre of the SPP's you pictured and the wire diameter, I would calculate the evaporative area of the coils pictured.

I cannot confirm your statement that the small SPP's are easily crushed.
As an example:
With a 3 meter column, we have a weight of 0.3 kg per cm².
A single spiral of 0.3 x 0.3cm has an area of 0.09cm², which means that 11 spirals fit in 1cm² and the weight on the bottom spiral is only 27 grams.
With 10 turns of wire, that's just 2.7 grams per turn.

Or are you saying that 0.29mm wire can't support 2.7 grams? :blink:

And normally, 1.5 meters long columns filled with 3mm to 4mm SPP, which weigh no less than one kilogram per liter, are completely sufficient to create 96% ethanol azeotrop. 

Here I found a video as proof on the YouTube:

Hey Top

I see you have listed in your chart for a 4" column.

That SPP seems a little small for a 4". What would the output be in liters per hour

I am using 10mm Siporax in a 4" x 60" CM (cooling management)  column and getting 7 liters at 95.4 % abv per hour

On 7/29/2022 at 8:01 PM, Windy City said:

Hey Top
I see you have listed in your chart for a 4" column.
That SPP seems a little small for a 4". What would the output be in liters per hour
I am using 10mm Siporax in a 4" x 60" CM (cooling management)  column and getting 7 liters at 95.4 % abv per hour

95.4% with 1cm ceramic cylinders in a 1.5 meter column - is a very-very good result.
10mm ceramic cylinders, if there are 1000 pieces per liter, have an evaporation surface of approx. 4700cm² per liter. A liter of 3mm SPP would have an evaporation surface of about 20000cm² I have no experience of how well the porous ceramic cleans as I don't need any cleaning between processes with stainless steel SPP. Maybe you could tell about it.

Mathematically, there is no difference in volume between one 4" column and four 2" columns of the same length.

With 4 "columns, the results up to 16.5 liters per hour were told. But without precise process and height information.

From practical experience, I got the following feedback:
With a 4 "column of 3.3 meters high (with cooler, dephlegmator, etc...), 8.2 liters per hour 96.6%, heating 9kW, 12kW regulated cooler and with a mix of SPP 3-5mm
and with a 4 "column of 3.6 meters high (with cooler, dephlegmator, etc...), 10,1 liters per hour 96.6%, heating 11kW, 12kW regulated cooler and with a  SPP mix 3-4mm.
Without counting heads and tails.

With SPP and a 4" column, you get four times as much as in the video below. With the same column height.