opinion of the group

Workpress

Hi all I have found a combo mash tun, lauter tun at auction there is no manufacturer details on the tank (3000L), the motor that turns the rake is on the underside. there looks to be one jacket around the vessel, and am wondering could it be turned into a still? (would the jacket be able to boil a mash in a timely matter) what are your opinions as I am curious

workpress

It probably could be switched over provided there is room to weld on a tri clamp for a condensing colum. I am in the process of doing this exact thing for another client.

I got a quote for a condensing column for $4000.

If you are interested let me know and I can jump on a call to discuss.

On 1/17/2023 at 1:06 PM, Kindred Spirits said:

It probably could be switched over provided there is room to weld on a tri clamp for a condensing colum. I am in the process of doing this exact thing for another client.

I got a quote for a condensing column for $4000.

If you are interested let me know and I can jump on a call to discuss.

Not trying to squabble for consulting business throw mud or undercut anyone but I could smoke that quote…. Paul could likely get you a quote cheaper than that and he has great resources for additional support in operation….. if your ever looking for some custom work stuff always quote him out on it we got and awesome dual filter cart from him…. Youd need to make sure your lyne arm can keep up with your kettle and your condensors with both of those. As long as you check those boxes and tbey create a connected path physically anything can be a still.

• Thumbs up 1

5 minutes ago, SlickFloss said:

Not trying to squabble for consulting business throw mud or undercut anyone but I could smoke that quote…. Paul could likely get you a quote cheaper than that and he has great resources for additional support in operation….. if your ever looking for some custom work stuff always quote him out on it we got and awesome dual filter cart from him…. Youd need to make sure your lyne arm can keep up with your kettle and your condensors with both of those. As long as you check those boxes and tbey create a connected path physically anything can be a still.

No worries, I should have specified that the condensing column I just helped a client out with was for a 5000L still, which is quite a bit bigger than the 3000L quoted. That price was also shipped to India. Each situation is different but I just wanted to give them the idea that it wasnt going to be $15,000+ to do what he wants.

Make sure the bottom mount agitator has all the parts and is completely functioning with no leaks or other problems.  You'll also want to ensure the seal materials are compatible with alcohols and acids - since this is outside of what the tank was originally intended to do. 

Depending on your jurisdiction/authorities, you may run into inspection problems with a vessel of that size that doesn't have a manufacturer nameplate with the tank design specs. 

I appreciate all the good advice and offers to help and will take you up on them in the future, I will look into the seal material I assume that it is for hot liquid but will look into ethanol.

thank you for the support Guys, it is great.

workpress