Food Grade Anti-Foam for Canned Cocktail Production...

Be careful, the "cap on foam" is a key part of keeping oxygen out of the can and preserving the contents.  We want enough foam to start ozzing out undwer the cap before it hits the seamer.   If there's too much breakout, it could be over-carbed or have other issues in the lines.  

Agree with Jocko. You should be able to work backwards through your supply chain to find the appropriate solution for your equipment set. If you have piecemeal together used sets of equipment thats where excess information can assist the community in assisting you. Have received not quite excess information on your process yet.

I would contact manufacturers and verify your specs are in range where they should be and move from there. Sounds like an over carbonation problem though from someone a thousand miles away without enough information. 

Aside, a former colleague of mine and myself took a road trip through Pennsylvania the year they had ACSA. We stopped at thistle finch and I loved your facility. I have a silly picture of myself near your "grain hole" [that's what we affectionately called it!] on my wall in my office here to this day. Great cocktails. Personally I love owner operator manufactured stills. Absolutely love your spot. Believe I have a nice decanter of yours as well? Cheers Hedgebird!

9 hours ago, jocko said:

Be careful, the "cap on foam" is a key part of keeping oxygen out of the can and preserving the contents.  We want enough foam to start ozzing out undwer the cap before it hits the seamer.   If there's too much breakout, it could be over-carbed or have other issues in the lines.  

A bit of cap is fine, but we currently have too much on the sugar heavy products specifically.  We are also using a filling machine with a CO2 purge cycle.  Product does not seem over-carbed (we are under carbed if anything) and we are managing to get the liquid down to about 28f when it hits the can so I dont think its a CO2 foaming issue, but more a sugary product foaming issue.  (could be wrong)  My understanding is that most/all soda manufacturers use a silcone antifoam, specifically Dimethylpolysiloxane.

9 hours ago, SlickFloss said:

Agree with Jocko. You should be able to work backwards through your supply chain to find the appropriate solution for your equipment set. If you have piecemeal together used sets of equipment thats where excess information can assist the community in assisting you. Have received not quite excess information on your process yet.

I would contact manufacturers and verify your specs are in range where they should be and move from there. Sounds like an over carbonation problem though from someone a thousand miles away without enough information. 

To say our setup is piecemeal is probably an understatement :)  That said we are using a filler with a Co2 purge and have tried things in spec and out of spec of the manufactureres recomendations.  The operating peramenters are pretty much limited to a recomended PSI to push the liquid to the filler. Adjusting the tank PSI seems to have minimal effect on the foaming.  And to be blunt I have every intention and hope of running this litte machine at a higher PSI then recomended to speed things up.  As mentioned in my other reply, issue seems to be with sugared products speficially, and my current working assumption is that co2 breakout is not the main issue we are experiencing, but it is possible I am wrong..  I have though about trying to carbonate a batch with beer-gas (60% co2 40% nitrogen) instead of straight Co2, as thats what many/most bars are using on beer tap system to help reduce foaming...

9 hours ago, SlickFloss said:

Aside, a former colleague of mine and myself took a road trip through Pennsylvania the year they had ACSA. We stopped at thistle finch and I loved your facility. I have a silly picture of myself near your "grain hole" [that's what we affectionately called it!] on my wall in my office here to this day. Great cocktails. Personally I love owner operator manufactured stills. Absolutely love your spot. Believe I have a nice decanter of yours as well? Cheers Hedgebird!

Well thats hella awesome!  I did most of the renovations/build-out/finishing/etc myself on the evenings and weekends back when I had my old day job before we got open so its nice to hear people like the space.  We normally call it the grain shute, but grain hole works too!  Somehow the built from scrath still is still kicking 10 years later but she is due for a kettle replacement/upgrade sooner than later..

Still stock those decanters!

IMG-2709.jpg

IMG-2710.jpg

• 6 months later...

Have you heard of nitrogen dosing, for non-carbonated low-carb beverages, liquid nitrogen (LIN) dosing provides an effective way to pressurize beverage containers without adding an undesired “bubbly” quality to products like tea, juice, or water.