Filtering

rtshfd

I know there's a lot of topics here, most of which i've read, but I'm looking for a bit of a condensed resource for the filtration of Vodka. What types of charcoal filtering are people using, and is chill-filtering suggested? As we are a new distillery we're hoping to figure out the most efficient way to filter without adding too much capital cost (can we get away with just charcol filtering without chill-filtering?) I'm looking to use a plate and frame setup to charcoal filter roughly 200 proof gallons of vodka per spirit run using a pneumatic diaphragm pump. How many plates/size frame would you all suggest? Is there a more cost effective/easier way to charcoal filter?

Thank you in advance for any comments.

• 1 month later...

I would like to "bump" this topic and see if anyone is willing to share their experiences . We are also looking for a reasonably cost effective way to filter 150 gal (80 proof). I have seen SS housings with circular filter cartridges that are being sold as "pharma grade" but at $5,000- $8,000 and $200-$400 per filter! Way too much $$.

Happy to share my method from a previous job. We won double gold at san francisco 2014 for our vodka.

We filtered at 81 proof on granular activated carbon at room temperature. We used an activated carbon bag filter that holds your granular activated carbon. We pumped the 81 proof vodka ( slightly higher to accommodate any evaporative loss during filtration) over the carbon using our pump at high speed, which then was pumped onto the top of the tank (and was being pulled from the bottom) for a number of hours. We repeated the process as many times as was necessary to get to desired 'neutrality' while still keeping good flavor.

Our filter setup was about 2 grand including fittings and hoses and a completely reasonable amount of activated carbon used per batch.

• Thumbs up 2

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2015 at 1:09 PM, rtshfd said:

I know there's a lot of topics here, most of which i've read, but I'm looking for a bit of a condensed resource for the filtration of Vodka. What types of charcoal filtering are people using, and is chill-filtering suggested? As we are a new distillery we're hoping to figure out the most efficient way to filter without adding too much capital cost (can we get away with just charcol filtering without chill-filtering?) I'm looking to use a plate and frame setup to charcoal filter roughly 200 proof gallons of vodka per spirit run using a pneumatic diaphragm pump. How many plates/size frame would you all suggest? Is there a more cost effective/easier way to charcoal filter?

Thank you in advance for any comments.

We have used a high micron charcoal filter and have had pretty decent results but are switching to chill filtered with plate and frame.  I do not suggest using a pneumatic due to the fact that it is not a constant flow and more of pulsating which can mess with your filters.  But unless you have an explosion  proof pump, quite expensive,  have to go that route of pneumatic i am sure you will be alright to n extent.

hope that helps.

cheers

On 4/8/2015 at 3:38 PM, axs367 said:

Is there any benefit to chilling vodka before filtering through activated carbon?

when you chill filter you assist in dropping out any proteins and congeners that might have made it through distillation which will help the process of them being removed through filtering. if you use chill filtering, drop to about 20 degrees.

Chilling to 20 degrees thickens the long chain proteins so that they are caught by the charcoal.  Chill filtering makes for a very clean crisp neutral spirit as long as everything else was done correctly. If you need charcoal filter housings for chill filtering just let us know.  We can build you exactly what you need for your particular process.  If you are interested just email   paul@distillery-equipment.com

http://distillery-equipment.com

http://moonshine-still.co

http://triclamp.co

https://www.emeraldgoldextractors.com/

• 2 months later...

According to a manufacturer of the "activated" carbon, the activation takes place around 32F product temperature.

I have supplied a rum producer a "dual setting" chiller, glycol settings: for 45F for production, 25F for chilling product prior to chill filtration.

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2015 at 3:38 PM, axs367 said:

Is there any benefit to chilling vodka before filtering through activated carbon?

I dont chill filter, but I've heard if your vodka is chilled in a bottle, it could become cloudy. I haven't ever really loooked into this myself, but all I do is carbon filtering, and pass it through a 1 micron canister filter to remove any dust.

For Vodka for a good neutral profile chill filtering is a good idea. Anything with flavor though chill filtering can effect the flavor. 

https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Chill_Filtering

For Filtering - Chilling causes the oils (tails) to solidify enabling them to be filtered by a barrier (physical) filter. Activated Carbon does not filter it out. If you use the search button you will find multiple discussions on this topic - pros/cons, technique, etc. It's somewhat controversial. In the end it is flavor vs appearance. 

To test for chill haze throw a bottle in a freezer overnight. If it's clear the next day no need to chill filter. 

I do offer small chillers for the chilling, but if you have a chiller now and have it charged with a glycol mix, pick an off day, lower the chiller thermostat to 25F and chill the spirit in a jacketed vessel, pumping the glycol through the jacket to lower the spirit temp to near 32F.  I have chillers that do this and even have a fancier one that does the switchover "push button" for a rum producer. I would touch base with your chiller provider for the OK.

If you need any other info, give me a shout.

Mike