What rum style produced when using pamela as the sugar source.

Revival rum

In the EU I believe it would be labelled 'Spirit Drink'. It has come up a few times in the rum world, dig around online and you'll see some reference to it. If the EU is a market for your product I would look deeply at the regulations and speak with the authorities before proceeding, obviously every country has it's wrinkles. 

6 minutes ago, JustAndy said:

In the EU I believe it would be labelled 'Spirit Drink'. It has come up a few times in the rum world, dig around online and you'll see some reference to it. If the EU is a market for your product I would look deeply at the regulations and speak with the authorities before proceeding, obviously every country has it's wrinkles. 

Sounds like a non starter then.

The solution to high molasses pricing, is simply to buy more molasses.

I know more than one small distiller who has moved from drum to tote and then to tanker, achieving significant cost savings with each step.  I would assume that if exporting to broad EU is your goal, you aren't going to be working with buckets.

While lower bulk pricing is true for many commodities, it's surprisingly so for molasses.

The other consideration, if freight is a major price driver for you, consider running the numbers on stepping up to higher grade molasses, which would have a higher product yield compared to lower fermentable blackstrap.  While it's more expensive, there may be a total cost savings for you once you consider sugar % and freight costs.

13 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

The solution to high molasses pricing, is simply to buy more molasses.

I know more than one small distiller who has moved from drum to tote and then to tanker, achieving significant cost savings with each step.  I would assume that if exporting to broad EU is your goal, you aren't going to be working with buckets.

While lower bulk pricing is true for many commodities, it's surprisingly so for molasses.

The other consideration, if freight is a major price driver for you, consider running the numbers on stepping up to higher grade molasses, which would have a higher product yield compared to lower fermentable blackstrap.  While it's more expensive, there may be a total cost savings for you once you consider sugar % and freight costs.

I briefly explored finding a supply of high test (A molasses) here in the UK but I didn't have any luck.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been distributing Panela for 10 years, and can give you plenty of information. Message me.

Not sure on the EU regulations but a lot of people are using it all over the USA and worldwide.

Not sure why it would not be rum though? It’s simply dehydrated cane juice from sugar cane. No different than molasses would be a biproduct. Molasses is used in something like 97% of rum out there so maybe folks want an alternative, and don’t live in cane country (like us in Florida that can source fresh pressed juice from our farm) that want something different. Cane juice goes bad in 24 hours so Panela is the closest alternative. Just my $.02

I'm not aware of anyone using Panella on a craft or commersial scale, but there has to be someone.

if its made from cane it is a legitimate source for making rum, I would have to imagine it would be similar to making rum from cane syrup, but with perhaps a bit more toasted or caramel qualities

Correct there are dozens of distilleries using it. We have folks buying full truckloads 40,000 lbs+ at a time. 

It is evaporated into a syrup, then dried into blocks (and/or grinded). It is very similar to syrup except with an infinite shelf life which is important in warm/tropical climates.

All good. I’m not planning to research European rum laws. We move almost all of our stuff right here in the USA & Canada eh!. If anyone needs any let me know.

Pretty well at sold out @ capacity for the next couple months (damn COVID) but would love to discuss. Europeans (apparently) and most Americans are missing out. Cheers!

I am waiting for Her Majesty's revenue and customs to give me their opinion as to whether rum can be made from panela. As I interpret the law it can, but it always pays to get the official verdict.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 1:07 PM, Black Creek said:

100% Panella in my craft distillery from Sugar Daddy. Waiting on next shipment. Makes an excellent rum.

Do you use any backset or other adjustments for pH buffering and yeast nutrition, or does the panela have enough of that already?