Piramal bottle quality issues

pndTom

Recently received a shipment of nordic style bottles from our supplier.  These bottles are made by Piramal.  On about 40% of the bottles the sides are not straight.  They have a slight indentation on the bottom and as a result, our labels end up wrinkled when they're applied.  This was the first shipment of those bottles that were produced in India.  Wondering if anyone else who uses bottles made by Piramal has had any issues with the India produced bottles?

We use their Jersey bottles. Ever since they moved production to India the quality has noticeably dropped. The batch I'm working my way through now has inconsistent neck openings. Some corks fit fine the majority are very loose. There are often chips on the lips and shoulders and the boxes are either over glued or under glued and have an off smell. Expensive as ever though.

49 minutes ago, Silk City Distillers said:

We got a skid of 375s that had the wrong neck diameter entirely.

We found the same thing. The necks had suddenly shrunk about 1mm which was enough that the corks we used wouldn't fit.

Thankfully we moved away from  375s. Have not seen any quality differences with our 750 Jerseys from India...yet.

Interesting about the smell being reported.  I have my bottles in the area where we temporarily store our spent grains and thought that the off smell was coming from the grains.  Never thought it could be bottles/boxes.  It's actually funking up the entire distillery.

• 1 month later...

We compared India Nordics to USA before they shut down USA production, and at that time it was clear the product from India gave inconsistent fills with level filling because of shape variations, and also problems applying some labels. We have used some Arizonas and Nordics from India since the USA shut down, and they were a little better than we previously, but still inferior to the USA production. We have considered going to Stockholm (Anchor), the quality looks acceptable, but the glass has a bluish cast that is less desirable.

Are they not making anything in the US anymore?

I got some of their Lincoln bottles from India.  The bottles were clean enough but the packaging was noticeably dirtier than I have been used to.  One pallet had a case that was missing (and marked as missing!) several bottles, another case had several broken bottles.  I was down about a full case between three pallets.  I've never seen that before.

We have been using the Springfield 750 for a few years.  Because O.Berk refused to answer the phone or return emails late last year we had to order through an independent broker, the lead time was 9 months. the cases we received from India smell like a sour barnyard. I have also noticed some pretty extreme variances with this lot using a volumetric filler. I am feeling the fatigue of this glass shortage/supply chain issues, We ordered 2 skids of Kaleidoscope 375's from Canada with a reasonable lead time and the truck showed up with damaged pallets, loose bottles rolling around and broken glass all over the place.  I have reached out to other suppliers and have received few or severely delayed responses. Saverglass took 5 months to respond to an email. I wish it was legal to have a refillable growler style program/club.

We use a different supplier, but have seen serious manufacture defects recently as well.  We had to send an entire truckload back!  Mold (as in casting mold) was somehow off and the bottles were crumbling in the pack line!  Extremely frustrating to wait as long as we are to pay upfront and a premium for garbage!