PeteB Posted October 6, 2011 Share Posted October 6, 2011 Dominic Roscrow who writes for Whisky Magazine and Malt Advocate, visited my distillery earlier this week. He passed a comment that I have the only biodiesel powered still in the world. Does anyone know of another one? That got me thinking, do I have the "greenest" distillery in existence? Any comments would be appreciated. 95 % of my energy comes from BIOFUEL made from WASTE fryer oil that I collect from a roadhouse next to my farm (renewable energy) and (minimal freight "food miles") The other 5% energy is Hydro electricity (renewable) I grow and harvest the grain within half a Km of my distillery (minimal freight) I grow ryecorn, which unlike most other grains, requires very little fertiliser or irrigation.(avoiding contamination of waterways) No insecticides or fungicides are used on the rye. (no chemical contamination) I use minimum tillage and trash retention. (sustainable farming)(locking up carbon in soil) Tractor and truck fuel is biodiesel from fryer. Spent mash is fed to my livestock (minimal freight) (nutrient recycling) I malt my own grain and use it "green". This saves a lot of energy because of no kilning.(reduced carbon emissions) All cooling water is recycled or used for irrigation.(don't waste precious water) All distillery water is captured on my farm. No government infrastructure.(no chemical additives, minimal pumping energy) Waste heat capture and reuse is gradually being improved. Except for my still and my tractor, most of my equipment is second hand. I believe it is generally accepted that most older second hand equipment has had its manufacturing carbon footprint already written off. (small carbon footprint) My distillery is in an abandoned horse stable that needed very little modification.(small carbon footprint for construction) Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now