What am I getting into?

I just boarded this train and I'm still in the station, with a long way to go.  I want to learn as much as I can from you guys who have been doing this awhile.  I appreciate all who have taken the time to answer questions and offer advise over the years.  It's a fantastic resource for those of us who are just getting started.  

Hi Colonal,

We are glad to answer any questions that you may have concerning which equipment is best for what you want to do.  If you would like equipment suggestions, please see the questions below:

What spirits you plan on producing?

what inputs you will be using such as which grains etc?

Also how many gallons do you want to produce per year?

paul@distillery-equipment.com

You're going to hear lots of stories about endless days, government bureaucracy, unexpected costs, trouble getting distribution/sales.  Don't let the horror stories scare you away but do take note of all the troubles others have faced.  Would I have actually pulled the trigger on this business if I knew all the obstacles I'd have to clear to get it up and running?  I don't know actually...  That said, I'm glad I was a bit naive and moved forward.  Take note of the troubles of others and include contingencies in your plan in the event you run into similar walls.

17 hours ago, Huffy2k said:

You're going to hear lots of stories about endless days, government bureaucracy, unexpected costs, trouble getting distribution/sales.  Don't let the horror stories scare you away but do take note of all the troubles others have faced.  Would I have actually pulled the trigger on this business if I knew all the obstacles I'd have to clear to get it up and running?  I don't know actually...  That said, I'm glad I was a bit naive and moved forward.  Take note of the troubles of others and include contingencies in your plan in the event you run into similar walls.

Sound advice.  I expect my learning curve to be steep and mostly upward.   I'm visiting as many distilleries as I can and shadowing distillers who will let me hang out and volunteer for a day.

I've found that most are willing to share information on processes and technical details.  We're doing a little hands-on training in the garage also.  Past experience is with brewing beer.  

I recommend you take a look at the cooling systems employed by different size distilleries.

Most systems I configure are customized in some way to include mash cools, still types and length of runs, number of fermenters that are temperature controlled, and climate considerations.

Please contact me if you want some examples.

A fairly large distillery I supplied cooling for is being put up in Chicago, a few around NY, MD & PA as well as CA and KY, NC and TN off the top of my head. 

Regards,

Mike G. 678-773-2794

I'll say the same thing to everyone I talk to about starting a distillery.

The still and the act of distilling the two least important parts of the whole enterprise.  Hell, washing the toilets is more important than the still.  Not saying you are in this camp, but there are tons of people who fantasize about distilling and stills, where they should be fantasizing about scrubbing floor drains, because that's where the real joy of distilling lies.  Drain grates so clean you can lick sweet mash right off them.  You can know everything you need to know about how good the head distiller is by their floor drains.

• Thumbs up 1

52 minutes ago, Silk City Distillers said:

You can know everything you need to know about how good the head distiller is by their floor drains.

That is so true.

We've been running a small distillery for about six months now and I have spent more time cleaning than any other activity. My wife wonders why I can't clean the house with the same vigor. Also, being small is great to an extent. Then, when you run out of product, things can get a bit tense and suddenly that nifty little still you got at a great price - seems wholly inadequate.

Expect two years in re-zoning, paperwork and building/outfitting. Expect 10 hour days, seven day weeks right off the start. Expect the on-going paperwork to drive you to drink. Expect way more customers than you ever thought possible. Realize you should have had more children to beef up your labor force. Because, when you start looking for additional labor, good reliable people are very hard to find. Expect to spend a lot of money you didn't think you'd need to. A lot of money.

Otherwise, it's a fun business with a lot of dynamic angles and lots of room for personal creativity and growth.

Hi Colonel, if you ever find yourself in Arizona come pay us a visit at Grand Canyon Distillery. Im always happy to show other industry folks our facility and talk shop.