Continous Still Education

navenjohnson

As we grow I am looking harder at efficiencies.

Although most of my distilling is done via pot still I only have so much of a footprint to work with so a continous is looking more and more interesting.

Where can I learn about this?  What are my options? Is this even the way to go?

Small footprint, smaller heating cost, smaller cooling cost, use as stripping still then very economical.

8 hours ago, Aux Arc said:

I can put my head around using them for a stripping still but are people actually using them for a finishing still and if so, what or how do the cuts occur?

Exact same way a petroleum plant cracks crude into it's different grades of fuel. Google some YouTube videos, it's all about flow, temperature control and having a good design. If you have all of those you can know exactly which plates are pulling heads/hearts/tails.

1 hour ago, Silk City Distillers said:

@captnKB - did you do a presentation?  Something you might be able to share?

Ditto!  por favor.  I too would like to graduate to a continuous still some time in the future at least for stripping.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:52 PM, Aux Arc said:

I can put my head around using them for a stripping still but are people actually using them for a finishing still and if so, what or how do the cuts occur?

Yes. Tails never make it up the column so that part happens naturally. On a still you use for a finished spirit you would pick a plate that has the flavor profile you want and take off from there - aka the take off plate. You design the still so you have a take off rate that matches the replenishment rate and the column will stay in equilibrium. Various designs out there, some you can have more than one take off plate, some you adjust the column dynamics to make changes to the output ABV. The issue is that you will always have at least a trace of heads in it. 

Think of it like old school moonshining - each plate is like a jar, you pick the jars (plates) that you like and mix that in for a finished product. 

https://www.alcademics.com/2013/07/how-column-distillation-works-bourbon-edition.html

http://cocktailchem.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-physics-of-batch-column-stills-and.html

• Thanks 1

The presentation I put together on continuous column distillation is focused on a comparison of the efficiency of batch distillation versus continuous distillation.

The discussion on the science of single pass continuous distillation (finished spirits) including the separation of heads / hearts  / tails is a much deeper discussion that my ppt only briefly touches on.

The file is to big to upload here if any one would like to see it send me an email Distillerynow@gmail.com and Ill send you the presentation

• Thanks 4

On 4/5/2019 at 7:05 AM, Foreshot said:

Yes. Tails never make it up the column so that part happens naturally. On a still you use for a finished spirit you would pick a plate that has the flavor profile you want and take off from there - aka the take off plate. You design the still so you have a take off rate that matches the replenishment rate and the column will stay in equilibrium. Various designs out there, some you can have more than one take off plate, some you adjust the column dynamics to make changes to the output ABV. The issue is that you will always have at least a trace of heads in it. 

Think of it like old school moonshining - each plate is like a jar, you pick the jars (plates) that you like and mix that in for a finished product. 

https://www.alcademics.com/2013/07/how-column-distillation-works-bourbon-edition.html

http://cocktailchem.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-physics-of-batch-column-stills-and.html

Thanks Foreshot.  I appreciate the education.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...